Seen and Heard: Happenings Around Town Live
Welcome to the Seen and Heard blog! Here you will find information for arts and entertainment news and events. Want to know what is happening at local clubs, museums, theaters and cultural centers? Check back here daily and follow WTOP Entertainment on Twitter: @WTOPEnt
Mini 'Friends' reunion on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
WASHINGTON -- Fans of NBC's "Friends" don't have to wait for a reunion show -- they got a snippet of one thanks to Jimmy Kimmel Wednesday.
Jennifer Aniston appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Wednesday night, but it turned into a mini-reunion for "Friends" co-stars, complete with the famous kitchen set.
Aniston played her sitcom character, Rachel, while Kimmel played Ross, who was portrayed by David Schwimmer on the show. Aniston was joined by fellow "Friends," Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow.
Read the full story here.Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow and Jimmy Kimmel in "Friends"by Jimmy Kimmel Live via YouTube
ZZ Top, Jeff Beck D.C. show canceledWASHINGTON -- Bad news if you have tickets for the ZZ Top and Jeff Beck show at 9:30 Club Sept. 3: It's been canceled.A radio station in Detroit reports that ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill slipped while boarding the tour bus and severely injured his hip. All ZZ Top dates have been suspended pending his recovery.Refunds for the D.C. show are available at point of purchase. If you purchased your tickets online, you will receive an automatic refund.
Was Sarah Silverman stoned at the Emmys?WASHINGTON -- Seems like the answer is yes, she was high Monday night when she accepted an award for her HBO show, "Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles."The comedienne whipped out her portable vaporizer pen and liquid pot during a red carpet interview with E! News, according to the New York Daily News."This is my pot," she said on TV. "This is what everything's really supposed to be in."Later, she accepted her award barefoot and was heard backstage joking that she would be taking a trip to 7-Eleven for snacks after the awards ceremony.In California, medical marijuana is legal with a prescription from a doctor. We can only guess Silverman is the proud owner of a pot card?#SarahSilverman Breaks Out #VapePen live on TV at #Emmys! She rules! #Marijuana VIDEO HERE: http://t.co/pCw07Z3JoV http://t.co/RFtb3PLy1OAug. 26, 2014
A new 'Full House' show could be in the worksWASHINGTON -- Its seems that nothing is ever actually new these days. That is never more true than when it comes to Hollywood, which insists on making and remaking and then remaking again the same shows and movies in perpetuity.It shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that a "Full House" reboot is in the works.John Stamos aka Uncle Jesse, executive producer Bob Boyett and creator Jeff Franklin are in talks to bring a new version of the '90s show back to life with Warner Bros. TV, E! Online reports.The complete cast, including Bob Saget, is reportedly on board, but there is no word on whether the Olson twins will participate in the reboot."Full House" Guys Reunite On Jimmy Fallon (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon)by The Tonight Show Sta... via YouTube
ISIS the band gets confused with ISIS the terrorist groupWASHINGTON -- At this point, pretty much everyone knows the name ISIS.But did you know that long before the terrorist group started making headlines with their horrific acts of violence there was a post-rock/ heavy metal band with the same name?The latter has been around since the late-1990s and is no longer touring or recording. But that hasn't stopped some people from confusing the band ISIS with the terrorist group.ABC News reports that the band has received death threats and messages from fans who refuse to wear their shirts."'It certainly caught us off guard,' Aaron Harris, the band's former drummer, tells ABC News.In an effort to distance itself from the group that recently beheaded American journalist James Foley, ISIS the band has changed its Facebook name.“It is an unfortunate situation and of course a few less than enlightened people are not seeing the distinction between an inactive band of musicians and a band of terrorists involved in current world affairs,” a representative from Ipecac, the band’s label, tells ABC News.Check out the band live in Sweden below:Isis - Live Swedish TV Performanceby Aenima8427 via YouTube
Robin Williams' bike sells for $20,000 at charity eventWASHINGTON -- The actor's handmade Pegoretti bicycle went for $20,000 this weekend at the Drever Family Foundation’s annual gala in Tiburon, California, the small bay-side town Robin Williams called home.Just weeks before his untimely death, Williams donated his bike to charity, Page Six reports. He was close friends with Jan and Maxwell Drever, and had planned on attending the charity event.The Drever Family Foundation "is a private philanthropic organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life by supporting education and the Arts. The Foundation hopes to perform as a catalyst for education, the arts, and change in perpetuity," according to the organization's website.Click here to see a photo of the bike.
Weekend Best Bets: County Fair, Wine, Music & BBQ fests and Racing
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Maryland State Fair starts this week with great family fun, rides, games and national headlining music. For info
- Country Life Festival at the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds celebrates the great outdoors and good old fashioned family fun with fishing, trucks, dogs, beer and music. For info
- Augustoberfest in Hargerstown is a 2 day Bavarian festival of food, fun and entertainment that glimpses into German culture through music, dance and song. For info
- Maryland Renaissance Festival in Crownsville is one of the nation's largest 16th-century celebration of food, music, games and culture with 10 stages on 22 acres. For info
Saturday, August 23:
- Uncorked Wine and Music Festival in Rockville features the best in wines from across Maryland, 2 stages of music, cooking demos and more. For info
- Taste of Prince Georges Food & Wine Festival at Six Flags America in Bowie is a celebrated foodie event bringing together the best in food, wine and entertainment. For info
- Easterns Bayside Blues and Wine Festival in Essex offers an assortment of great blues and wine in a family friendly environment. For info
- Trillectro Festival at RFK is the DC bred music fest combining electronic and hip-hop featuring acts that span the gambit where gold grills meet glowsticks. For info
- Capital Dragon Boat Regatta along the Southwest Waterfront is a free spectacle for the family as colorful crew filled boats race along the Potomac. For info
- Shenandoah Valley TasteFest in Winchester with some of the areas best with chef demos, tastings, and kids activities. For info
- BBQ and Bluegrass at the Breaux in Purcellville is a fine farewell to summer with an afternoon of music, tastings, tours, vendors and more. For info
- Welcome to the Workhouse Party at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton is and annual open house with vendors, live entertainment, chef demos and more. For info
- Rams Head on Stage presents 80’s chart toppers, Player. For info
- Jammin' Java has the unique stringed instrumentation of, Songs of Water. For info
- The Birchmere has the star of Broadways’ A Night With Janis Joplin, Mary Bridget Davies. For info
- 9:30 Club offers Big Star’s Third: An Orchestrated Performance of the Legendary Album featuring and all-star line up. For info
- The Lincoln Theatre presents a night of great R&B with Musiq Soulchild, Jon B and Dave Hollister. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live a few seats left for the country music, Platinum Tour featuring Miranda Lambert. For info
- The Hamilton hosts a night of great American rock with Alternate Routes and Red Wanting Blue. For info
- Tally Ho Theatre in Leesburg hosts the legendary, Leon Russell. For info
Sunday, August 24:
- 2014 Redskins Rides Car Show in Ashburn is great fun for the family cool cars, Redskins, food and fun. For info
- Bluegrass & Bad to the Bone BBQ at the Bull Run Winery in Centreville, Virginia is an afternoon of fun, food and music. For info
- Maryland International Raceway at Budds Creek features a day at the races with car show, contests, vendors, music and more. For info
- Jammin' Java hosts some of the areas best and brightest music in Local Scene. For info
- IOTA hosts singer-songwriters, Brett Harris, Pat Sansone and Skylar Gudasz. For info
- Howard Theatre presents the ambassador of tap, Savion Glover. For info
- 9:30 Club hosts the legendary, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelics. For info
Wanda Sykes returns home to D.C.WASHINGTON -- Native daughter Wanda Sykes is returning to where it all began.The comedian is coming back to the D.C. region and will be performing at the Music Center at Strathmore Sept. 20 at 8 p.m.From Strathmore:"Named 'one of the 25 funniest people in America!' by Entertainment Weekly, Sykes got her start in stand-up at a 1987 talent showcase in Washington, D.C., where she performed for the first time in front of a live audience. She continued to hone her talents at local venues while working at the NSA until moving to New York City in 1992.
Her career in television began with HBO’s critically acclaimed 'Chris Rock Show.' As a performer and writer on the program, she was nominated for three Emmys and in 1999 won the Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Special. In 2001, she won the American Comedy Award for Outstanding Female Stand Up Comic. She won three more Emmys, in 2002, 2004, and 2005, for her work on 'Inside the NFL.'"
Tickets are $39 to $129. Click here for more info.
Prepare for 'The Simpsons' marathon of a lifetimeWASHINGTON -- Miss the days of Homer smacking Bart upside the head, or Lisa wistfully playing the saxophone alone in her room?Then you are in luck.All 552 episodes will air back-to-back on FXX. The 12-day marathon starts Thursday at 10 a.m. and ends Sept. 1 with the feature-length movie.Click here for a full schedule.The Simpsons Season 20 Episode 11 - How the Test Was Wonby AnimeTezuka via YouTube
Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett among 'Jungle Book' castWASHINGTON -- Hollywood is pulling out all the stops when it comes to the remake of childhood classic "The Jungle Book."The ensemble cast boasts impressive star power, including Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Naomie Harris, Tom Hollander, Eddie Marsan, Peter Mullan and Benedict Cumberbatch, according to The Hollywood Reporter.The ambitious film is rumored to use a combination of motion capture, CG animation and live action.Read the full story here. And then fondly remember the original version:Bare Necessitiesby Flexz via YouTube
Catholic University announces upcoming productionsAnd they are:
Oct. 9-12. Directed by M.F.A. directing candidate Orion Jones.
Through an experimental exploration of Sophocles’s tragedy, this production reveals that the classic story of one man’s ambition and downfall is frighteningly contemporary.
Nov. 20-23. Directed by M.F.A. directing candidate Elena Velasco.
An adaptation of Shakespeare’s Winter’s Tale set in colonial Mexico, La Perdida incorporates magic and music to offer a new vision of the classic romance.
Conversations I’ve Never Had
Feb. 13-22. Written by M.F.A. playwriting candidate Kathleen Burke.
Newlyweds Ruth and Brad’s happy life is disrupted by a mysterious figure from Ruth’s past. With the help of her sister Amy, Ruth and Brad struggle to find a way to save their marriage from each other.
The Mage Knights of Eternal Light
Feb. 14-21. Written by M.F.A. playwriting candidate Amanda Zeitler.
After the death of her father, the power of Dawn’s grief pulls fantasy characters, both heroes and villains, out of her father’s favorite book. Their appearance jeopardizes her already crumbling relationship with her family and friends.
April 23-26. Directed by Eleanor Holdridge, director of the MFA Directing program.
A new work by Lauren Gunderson, the award-winning playwright of I and You, The Revolutionists is a brutal comedic quartet about four very real women who lived boldly in France during the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror.
Snow day for dogs this weekend in RestonWASHINGTON -- It might only be August, but dogs will get a taste of winter this weekend thanks to a special snow day in Reston, Virginia.Unleashed by Petco is hosting a fun day for canines and their owners complete with snow machines, pet adoptions and free giveaways.The snow day will take place Saturday at the Reston Town Center. Festivities kick off at 9 a.m. Click here for more info.Summer Snow Day at Unleashed by Petcoby Petco via YouTube
Matthew McConaughey defends the fanny packWASHINGTON -- Many Americans don't understand the fanny pack. It is considered the ultimate sign of a tourist or the telltale sign of a nerd. Either way, fanny packs are generally shunned.
Matthew McConaughey, on the other hand, insists that he's "not afraid of the fanny pack."
“You gotta kinda put it on the side to make it look a little not as nerdy, but still, practicality wins out. I got so much gear in here that I don’t want in my pockets," the "True Detective" star tells the New York Post.
McConaughey was spotted rocking the questionable fashion statement Sunday at Boston's Fenway Park. The accessory was shocking enough that it inspired an entire interview with CSN Houston’s Julia Morales.Watch it below:
"Hey there, I’m your friend Mike Doughty. I’m making a new album, called Stellar Motel, produced by DJ Good Goose; I’ve also got an album of 14 Soul Coughing songs, played live (some with a band, some acoustic) called Live at Ken’s House."Former Soul Coughing frontman is crowdsourcing new albumWASHINGTON -- Call it creative fundraising: Some fans of Mike Doughty, the former singer of Soul Coughing, are digging his idea to incorporate them into his new album.
Doughty is reaching out to fans to help support his new solo record, to be called "Stellar Motel," by offering to make them part of the experience -- for a price.
"At its best a pledge campaign is people feeling like they really joined a team and making this record with me is a cause," Doughty says on his website.
To raise money for the new project, he's offering to sell the guitars with which he's recording the album, put on a private concert, list fan names in the credits, even type out the lyrics to one of his songs and sign it.
The donation options range from $18 to $20,000.
Arcade Fire covers Fugazi's 'Waiting Room'WASHINGTON – Arcade Fire fans got a special treat at the Verizon Center Sunday night when the band covered local legends Fugazi.They did so while decked out in presidential masks. I spy Obama and (maybe) Nixon?
Watch a video below:by WTOPEnt via YouTube 8/19/2014 2:33:58 PM
Legendary skateboarder Jay Adams dead at 53WASHINGTON -- Lord of Dogtown Jay Adams has died, TMZ reports.The legendary skateboarder was on an extended surfing vacation in Mexico with his wife when he had a fatal heart attack.The 53-year-old, who suffered from a lifelong battle with drugs, had been sober for months. This trip was the first time in 20 years Adams was allowed to leave the United States thanks to various drug charges, according to TMZ.The image of a teenage Adams skateboarding in California has become one of the iconic photos from the Venice Beach scene:
Weekend Best Bets: Fairs, Cultural Festivals, Gamers Unite and Music Galore
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- 42nd Annual Lucketts Fair offers crafts, food, antiques, kids activities, music and more. For info
- Winchester Greek Festival in its 50th year celebrates the culture with great food, drink and music. For info
- D.C. Convention Center hosts the Video Gamers United Conference with state-of-the-art games, workshops, displays and arcade for gamers of all ages. For info
- VietFest 2014 at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton is a family friendly Vietnamese heritage festival with traditional entertainment, music, dance, cuisine and a kids zone. For info
- Backyard Science Days at the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor is a two-day science extravaganza with hands-on activities, animal encounters, stomp rockets, vegetable races and so much more. For info
- Warner Theatre presents Pokémon Symphonic Evolutions the orchestrated recap of nearly 20 years is not just for Pokémon fans but for music lovers of all ages. Shows Friday and Saturday, For info
- National Harbor hosts Cirque du Soleil’s Amaluna at various showtimes all weekend inviting the audience to a mysterious island guided by cycles of the moon and governed by Goddesses. For info
Saturday August 16:
- Silopanna Music Festival at the Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds is a day filled with fun, food and great music. For info
- Hot August Music Festival in Cockeysville, Maryland, billed as summer’s hottest music festival with a host of kids activities. For info
- Jazz Fest 2014 at Bethlehem Landing in Edgemere, Maryland great day of music, bring your own lawn chair, kids under 12 are free. For info
- Summer Wine and Peach Festival in Silver Spring with live music, slam poets, craft beer and a plethora of local peaches and treats, you must be 21 or over. For info
- Prince William County Fair in its last day of family fun with rides, games, animals, entertainment and more. For info
- DC Fest 2014 at the Patriot Center area’s leading summer Christian music festival with an all-star lineup. For info
- DC International Beerfest at Dock 5 @ Union Market, NE offers 120+ craft beers from around the globe, 30+ wines with games, arts, live music, food trucks for 21 and up. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live has parrot heads uniting for Jimmy Buffet. For info
- The Birchmere hosts country crooner, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives. For info
- DAR Constitution Hall offers the incomparable Tori Amos. For info
- Wolf Trap hosts the world’s most beloved pop group, ABBA. For info
- Jammin Java has a night of Americana with the Christian Lopez Band and Chelsea McBee and the Random Assortment. For info
- The Howard Theaters its the smooth R&B of Grammy nominated, Eric Roberson. For info
- The Hamilton presents N’warlins own, Flow Tribe complete with a dance floor. For info
- Rock and Roll Hotel its the experimental punk super group, United Nations. For info
- Gypsy Sally’s hosts alt-country rockers, The Walkaways. For info
- Nats Park post game concerts has country legend, Martina McBride. For info
Sunday August 17:
- Bull Run Winery in Centreville, Virginia it's Civil War Day, with wine tasting, live music featuring Joseph Keith complete with The Bad to the Bone BBQ Food Truck. For info
- Thomas Stone Historic Site in Port Tobacco offers a free family concert featuring the US Navy Brass Quartet. For info
- Alexanria’s Restaurant Week begins with 60 restaurants offering special deals, fixed dining options, explore new flavors, see why critics rave about this unique dining scene. For info
- Verizon Center presents Arcade Fire’s Reflektor Tour. For info
- The State Theatre its guitar blues-rock great, Jonny Lang. For info
- Jammin Java hosts a singer-songwriter night with the legendary, Dan Navarro and Barnaby Bright. For info
- Rams Head on Stage offers rock legends, Foghat. For info
- The Birchmere presents R&B rock all-stars, Trigger Hippy featuring Joan Osborne. For info
Robin Williams was in early stages of Parkinson's disease
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease and was sober at the time of his suicide, his wife said Thursday.
In a statement, Susan Schneider said that Williams, 63, was struggling with depression, anxiety and the Parkinson's diagnosis when he was found dead Monday in his Northern California home.
Schneider did not offer details on when the actor comedian had been diagnosed or his symptoms.
Williams' death shocked fans and friends alike, despite his candor about decades of struggle with substance abuse and mental health. With Parkinson's, Williams faced shouldering yet another challenge.
Parkinson's disease is an incurable nervous system disorder that involves a loss of brain cells controlling movement. Tremors, sometimes starting out in just one hand, are among the early symptoms.
It can also cause rigid, halting walking, slowed speech and sometimes dementia. Symptoms worsen over time and can often be treated with drugs.Read more here.And read the full statement here.
National Portrait Gallery adds Lauren Bacall photoWASHINGTON -- Sultry Hollywood star Lauren Bacall has been added to the National Portrait Gallery's "American Cool' exhibit, which features other famous legends such as James Dean, Madonna and Frank Sinatra.The photo was taken in 1949 by Alfred Eisenstaedt for Life magazine. It will be on display through Sept. 7.Bacall died Tuesday at the age of 89.An image of Robin Williams, who also died this week, has been added to the gallery's permanent collection.
Michael Jackson's new music video released on Twitter
WASHINGTON -- The King of Pop is ruling Twitter.
The Twitter account for Michael Jackson, who died more than five years ago, released a “short film” for his posthumous single on the social network. The video was released exclusively on Twitter at 10 p.m.
The song, “A Place With No Name,” is the most recent single from Jackson’s posthumous album “XSCAPE.”It’s time! The first ever premiere of "A Place With No Name" right now on Twitter #MJXSCAPEhttps://t.co/rRA0KJEBpgAug. 13, 2014
Since the link was tweeted at 10 p.m. Wednesday, there have been more than 44,800 retweest and more than 44,200 favorites, as of 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
The debut of Jackson’s video on Twitter is one of the first times a major music video has premiered on the social media platform.
"Music is the No. 1 most-discussed subject on Twitter in the U.S., and 50 percent of all of our users follow at least one musician," Shavone Charles, a Twitter spokeswoman, said to USA TODAY. "Music fans from around the globe flock to Twitter to discover and discuss new music in the moment."
The video was posted on YouTube Thursday morning:Michael Jackson - A Place With No Nameby michaeljacksonVEVO via YouTube
'The Wizard of Oz' anniversary show opens FridayWASHINGTON -- ArtInsights Gallery in Reston is teaming with Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia for an exhibit and sale of official "The Wizard of Oz" art.The exhibit, "There's No Place Like Home," will be on display through Sept. 15. An open house from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday is free and open to the public, along with an event featuring Warner Bros. artist Andrea Alvin from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.Ten percent of profits from the sale of art during the exhibit will be donated to Habitat for Humanity.On the Yellow Brick Road to @artinsights #WizardofOz show. Great art. Good time. #JohnAlvin #habitat #AndreaAlvin http://t.co/HYfLm29mwDAug. 13, 2014
Robin Williams movie tributes kick off this week
WASHINGTON -- No doubt Robin Williams fans will be dusting off old DVD's and replaying the gifted performer's greatest films in the days ahead.
For those who want to relive the experience of seeing him on the big screen, head to West End Cinema Friday for a tribute to the late actor.
Starting Friday, the theater will screen "Good Will Hunting," which earned Williams an Academy Award for best supporting actor, "The Birdcage" and "The Fisher King."
M Net Movies on DSYTV plans a weekend tribute, airing films including "Hook," "Awakenings," and "Good Morning, Vietnam."
Netflix is featuring seven of Williams' comedies, including "Jumanji," "The Fisher
King," and "Popeye."
Try more gum! from "The Birdcage"by Andreas Basler via YouTube
Weekend Best Bets: Fairs and Festivals, Toy Trains, KidStock and Seinfeld
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Havre de Grace Seafood Festival honors Chesapeake Bay food traditions with great entertainment, music and it's free. For info
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair begins a week long run with rides, entertainment, animals and a kid zone. For info
- Arlington County Fair family fun with rides and music. For info
- Prince William County Fair in Manassas offers great family entertainment with rides, games, entertainment and more. For info
- Kennedy Center presents the beloved comedic observations of the one and only Jerry Seinfeld at various showtimes both Friday and Saturday. For info
- National Harbor has Cirque Du Soleil’s Amaluna inviting the audience to a mysterious island guided by the cycles of the moon and governed by goddesses. For info
- FestAfrica in Silver Spring is a family friendly cultural celebration featuring authentic cuisine, venders, music and lots more. For info
- Dulles Expo Center presents Greenberg’s Train and Toy Show, a family spectacular with over 100 exhibitors from across the country, workshops, activities and more. For info
Saturday August 9:
- 2014 Sophie & Madigan’s KidStock in Frederick, Maryland, is an all-day kids celebration and remembrance honoring two girls who loved music, dance and art. For info
- Arts & Jerk Festival at Bowie BaySox Stadium is an all out Caribbean celebration with food, music and more. For info
- New Vintage Jazz & Wine Festival at the Fair Grounds on Half Street will feature great contemporary jazz with Art Whino on hand and a variety of food trucks and learn about wine from the experts. For info
- American Art Museum hosts Beach Party Family Festival with music, games, crafts and more. For info
- Shenandoah State Park Riverfest is a day filled with family fun in and out of the water with canoeing, tubing, music food and lots of hands on activities for kids. For info
- The Ballyshaners Irish Festival in Alexandria is a day of authentic cultural entertainment for the family with vendors, crafts, games, music and dance. For info
- The Birchmere presents country-rock pioneers Pure Prairie League and Firefall. For info
- Fillmore Silver Spring presents the ultimate tribute in Led Zepplin 2. For info
- Carter Barron offers a free Reggae Night with former Wailer, Junior Marvin. For info
- The Howard Theatre hosts pan jazz legend, Ken “Professor" Philmore backed by Spur of the Moment. For info
- Pier Six Pavilion in Baltimore rock with the Wilson sisters, Heart. For info
- The Hamilton offers the Celtic blending bluegrass, Americana, rock of Carbon Leaf. For info
- Jammin Java presents a night of southern blues-rock with The Black Cadillacs and Thomas Wynn & The Believers. For info
Sunday August 10:
- Taste of Linganore in Mt. Airy, Maryland, is a food and wine festival offering something for everyone with tastings, pairings, music and more. For info
- National Sailing Hall of Fame in Annapolis presents the 50th Anniversary of the Alberg 30 with a parade, race and other festivities. For info
- Dog Days Peach Festival at Bluemont, Virginia’s Great Country Farms offers fun for the family and fido with games, rides, demonstrations and more. For info
- Wolf Trap hosts pop singer-songwriters Gavin DeGraw and Matt Nathanson. For info
- Rams Head on Stage presents bluegrass-country-soul of The SteelDrivers. For info
- Blues Alley has songwriter, pianist, and four-octave vocalist, Kenny Wesley with two shows. For info
- Pier Six Pavilion in Baltimore has just a few seats left for Panic! At the Disco: The Gospel Tour. For info
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz offers the legendary, Rita Coolidge. For info
Keiffer McLean and the Curiosity Club, remember that name!
Amy Freedman, wtop.com
WASHINGTON -- As the co-host of an open mic I have the opportunity to hear lots of emerging bands and solo artists.
It's extremely rare that one completely stops me in my tracks. Last night during my regular
first and third Thursday open mic at McGinty's in Silver Spring a group that is on tour happened to stop by.
Keiffer and the Curiosity Club are from Regina-Saskatchewan, Canada and passing through our area on the way to Musikfest in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Keiffer McLean sings and plays acoustic guitar along with Danny Jones on stand-up bass and Robert McLean on percussion. The vibe is laid back but the tunes are intricate with unpredictable progressions and engaging lyrics.
These guys have that hard to describe something ... completely unique yet somehow familiar.
If you enjoy catching emerging artists on their way up then Friday's free show at Republic in Takoma Park is a must. The show starts at 10 p.m.
You may very well end up saying you saw them when!
Keiffer and the Curiosity Club: 10 p.m., Friday August 8 at Republic, Takoma Park. Admission: Free
D.C. could soon be home to a new comedy club ... if enough money is raised.The New Washington DC Comedy Club recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to add another venue to the District, which, according to the project's leader, Ed Blaze, is home to only one such place for local and national comedians.The goal of the campaign is to raise $50,000; currently, it's raised more than $15,000. Read more about the project and what it's trying to create on its Kickstarter page.
Jon Stewart, host of “Daily Show,” comments on the corruption trial of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife, Maureen. In a segment, Stewart said “Virginia is for lovers … of
The McDonnells are charged in a 14-count indictment with promoting Star Scientific Inc. CEO Jonnie Williams’ products in exchange for $165,000 in gifts and secret loans.
Oprah chows down on some Baltimore crabsWASHINGTON -- Who doesn't love a good crab feast, especially when you're near the Chesapeake Bay?Oprah certainly seems to enjoy chowing down on the crustaceans. She was spotted with longtime partner Stedman Graham in Baltimore earlier this week.Naturally, they documented the feast:Crab feast in Baltimore! #CaptainJamesby oprah via Instagram
'House of Cards' filming will ruin your commuteWASHINGTON -- The wildly popular Netflix show will be shooting some scenes in D.C. Saturday from noon to 10 p.m.Several major intersections downtown will be affected, according to Metro's announcement. Watch out for the following closings:Film:
3rd St NW btw Independence and Pennsylvania Ave
7th St NW btw Independence and Pennsylvania Ave
9th St NW btw Independence and Pennsylvania Ave
15th St NW btw Pennsylvania and Constitution Ave
Pennsylvania Ave NW btw 3rd and 15th St
Constitution Ave NW btw 15th and 3rd St
Independence Ave SW btw 3rd and 14th St
3rd St NW/SW btw Madison and Jefferson Dr.
Shark Week to start a few days early in downtown Silver SpringWASHINGTON -- Kick off your Shark Week this year early with a free screening of "Air Jaws: Fin of Fury" and live music in downtown Silver Spring.From Discovery:"Held just outside of the company’s global headquarters and in partnership with Downtown Silver Spring, the celebration will offer attendees a wide range of jaw-some giveaways including fin hats, glow necklaces and SHARK WEEK squirt toys. Local funk band 8 Ohms will also take the stage before the screening.Building on a three-year tradition, Chompie Jr. also will continue to surprise unsuspecting fans in the DC Metro area with a new twist on the #ChompieAttack. The much-loved mascot will be sharing SHARK WEEK treats with fans this week, so be sure to follow @DiscoveryComm on Twitter to keep up with his whereabouts. "Festivities kick off at 6 p.m.18-Foot Shark Attacks Cage | Great White Serial Killer - Shark Week 2013by Discovery via YouTube
Afghanistan War vet records song for soldiers with PTSD
WASHINGTON – War veterans returning home can have a difficult time adjusting to civilian life.
Brad Tyner, lead singer of Breakaway Patriot and Afghanistan War vet, knows what it’s like. He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force at the age of 18, and served two tours in the Middle East. He left the military in 2011 to pursue music, and is now combining his war experience with his creative side.
Breakaway Patriot’s latest single “The Homecoming,” speaks to the problems vets with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder face when they come home. The video was created with the help of Travis Air Force Base in California and Pathway Home, a sanctuary for vets with PTSD. The holding signs in the video are actual residents of Pathway.
“By simply watching and sharing the video you can help us raise awareness and funds for vets with PTSD. All proceeds from the video will be donated to the Pathway Home,” Tyner says in an email.
Watch the video for “The Homecoming” below:by WTOPEnt via YouTube 8/6/2014 2:43:17 PM
Get ready for Baltimore Comic-ConWASHINGTON -- Calling all cosplayers and comic book nerds!Baltimore Comic-Con is just around the corner, and news is starting to trickle down about what to expect during the convention, which comes to the Baltimore Convention Center Sept. 5 through 7.Kids 10 and under get in free all weekend. Families can enjoy kids-friendly comics, workshops and panels from companies such as Archie, Scholastic, Disney and Marvel.From the organizers:"The Baltimore Comic-Con has always been a welcoming, family-friendly show, and every year, we aim to make the Kids Love Comics Pavilion inspiring to young comic fans. Not only do we want kids to read comics, we show them how they can create their own! I wish there was an event like this when I was a kid," said Mark Mariano, creator of the Happyloo graphic novel series, and co-organizer (with John Gallagher) of the kids section.
'Daily Show' host Jon Stewart to direct first movieWASHINGTON -- Funnyman Jon Stewart is trying his hand at something new and directing his first film."Rosewater" is based on the best-selling memoir, "Then They Came for Me," a "painstaking account of one journalists' 118 days of imprisonment and torture following the 2009 Iranian election," InsideMovies reports.The film stars Gael Garcia Bernal -- one of Mexico's biggest talents and perhaps its most recognizable and internally acclaimed actors -- as imprisoned reporter Maziar Bahari.Bahari and Stewart became close friends after the journalist's ordeal.“It may not be what people expect from me; it’s not a comedy,” Stewart says of the film, which is slated to be released Nov. 7.Get more updates about the movie here.
'Wire' actor Anwan Glover stabbed in D.C. nightclub
WASHINGTON -- Anwan Glover, a local actor known for his recurring role as Slim Charles on HBO's "The Wire," was stabbed at a popular D.C. nightclub early Sunday morning.
Glover, 41, told D.C. police that he was on the second floor of Cafe Asia when an unknown person approached from the right side and struck him once with a closed fist.
When he turned to the person, another assailant hit Glover on the back of the head, which caused him to fall because the floor was wet.
Then, according to a police report obtained by WTOP, a group of people gathered around Glover and began to kick him several times.Read the full story here.The Wire - Stringer Orders Slim Charles To Hit Somebodyby allmightantdawgs via YouTube
Weekend Best Bets: Fairs, Foodie Fest, Southern BBQ and Music
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- The Howard County Fair in West Friendship, Maryland, begins a week long run of rides, entertainment, contests, music and great family fun. For info
- Dulles Expo Center hosts BrickFair VA 2014. The whole family can appreciate the amazing displays by imaginative brick masters with hands on activities, vendors and more. For info
- National Harbor has Cirque Du Soleil’s Amaluna inviting the audience to a mysterious island governed by goddesses and guided by the cycles of the moon. For info
- Warner Theatre this weekend is presenting the smash Broadway comedy that explores the gender gap, Defending The Caveman. For info
Saturday August 2:
- Strathmore in Bethesda hosts The Appetite Festival - the ultimate Summer indoor/outdoor food festival featuring celebrity chefs, food trucks, craft beer, music and more. For info
- Southern Maryland Brew & BBQ Festival at the St Mary’s County Fairgrounds offers a variety of events and attractions for all ages including craft beer, food and music. For info
- The Annapolis Car Show, held annually on the first Saturday in August to benefit the Diabetes Center, is a free event with live music, food and kids activities. For info
- Frederick County Fair in Winchester, Virginia, has its last day of great family fun with rides, live music, monster trucks, petting zoo and more. For info
- Heritage Family Days Series at the Udva-Hazy Center in Chantilly. See a display of helicopters, meet the pilots who fly them plus enjoy hands-on activities and indoor astronaut meet-and-greets. For info
- Merriweather Post Pavilion hosts some of the best in R&B and hip-hop with the 2014 Summer Spirit Festival. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live presents Rascal Flatts with Sheryl Crow. For info
- The Birchmere hosts the legendary country songwriter, Hal Kethcum. For info
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz has the unique jazz keyboard stylings of Marcus Johnson. For info
- The Howard Theatre is presenting the royal family of reggae, Morgan Heritage. For info
- The Hamilton hosts the dirty funk and rock of TAUK with Big Something with a dance floor. For info
Sunday August 3:
- First Sunday Arts Festival in Annapolis is a street festival, art market, craft fair all in one with music and entertainment for everyone. For info
- DC’s Annual Africa Festival at Woodrow Wilson Plaza is a family friendly cultural celebration of history, art, food and music. For info
- National Museum of the American Indian presents the Kaypi Peru Festival celebrating the indigenous culture of Peru through traditional dance, music, lectures exhibits, food, crafts and hands on activities for kids. For info
- Udvar-Hazy Center Summer Concert Series is a free family friendly event featuring the United States Air Force Band, Max Impact. For info
- George Mason Center for the Arts presents the Bolvian Independence Day - Children’s Festival a fun family event celebrating the culture with dance, music and singing. For info
- Jammin Java hosts a rising star in harpist/singer-songwriter, Mikaela Davis. For info
- The Howard Theatre presents the reggae stylings of Cultura Profetica. For info
- Rams Head on Stage in Annapolis offers TUSK: The Ultimate Fleetwood Mac Tribute. For info
- Wolf Trap presents the ultimate Grateful Dead tribute with Dark Star Orchestra. For info
- The Birchmere presents Grammy-winning, singer-songwriter Marc Cohn. For info
Lorde to curate 'Mockingjay' companion albumWASHINGTON -- Teen sensation Lorde has been tapped to record the first single for the next installment of "The Hunger Games."She will also curate the companion album to "MockingJay - Part 1," which hits theaters Nov. 21."Curating the soundtrack for such a hotly-anticipated film was a challenge, but I jumped at the chance," the 17-year-old singer and songwriter said in a news release."The cast and story are an inspiration for all musicians participating and, as someone with cinematic leanings, being privy to a different creative process has been a unique experience. I think the soundtrack is definitely going to surprise people."Read the full story here.And watch a teaser for Part 1 below:"Our Leader the Mockingjay" – Official Teaser Trailerby The Hunger Games via YouTube
Hi: 86 °F | Lo: 58 °F