Seen and Heard: Happenings Around Town Live
Welcome to the Seen and Heard blog! Here you will find information for arts and entertainment news and events. Want to know what is happening at local clubs, museums, theaters and cultural centers? Check back here daily and follow WTOP Entertainment on Twitter: @WTOPEnt
Former 'Real Housewives' star helps solve Philly hate crime on TwitterWASHINGTON -- Last week, two gay men Philadelphia were viciously attacked by a large group of young 20-somethings.One of the victims had to undergo surgery and had his jaw wired. The second victim suffered bone fractures and cuts to his face. Both men were repeatedly kicked and punched after the assailants made disparaging remarks against gay people and asked if they were boyfriends.When police released a video of the suspects, former "Real Housewives of New Jersey" cast member Greg Bennett came to the rescue.He recognized the group from another photo taken inside a restaurant he had seen tweeted by a "friend of a friend of a friend." Bennett didn't know where that picture was taken, and asked his followers if they recognized the location:Twitter user FanSince09 saw that tweet and retweeted it his followers, some of who did recognize the restaurant, La Voila, which is located just blocks from where the attack occurred.If you recognize anyone in this video, DM me or @PPDJoeMurray. We gotta get these folks. http://t.co/48sFyw6NxqFanSince09 was able to track down the suspects by looking at who had checked in on Facebook the night of the attack. He matched those Facebook photos to the images from the police video and called authorities.Philadelphia police officer Joe Murray publicly thanked FanSince09 for sleuth work:S/O to @FanSince09 This is what makes my job easy. Sure, it's up to me to make the arrest but we are all in this together.Murray went on to tweet that no arrests have been made yet, but ABC 6 in Philadelphia is reporting that some of the 12 suspects are expected to surrender to police.Read more here.
AP PhotoJoan Rivers' doctor allegedly takes selfie during biopsyWASHINGTON -- The doctor performing a biopsy on Joan Rivers allegedly stopped to take a selfie during the procedure, CNN reports.The doctor, who has not been publicly identified, was the comedienne's personal physician.Rivers had been put under anesthesia earlier that day for a routine endoscopy to help diagnose her hoarse voice and sore throat. After the procedure, which was completed by a different doctor, her physician began to perform an unscheduled biopsy on her vocal chords, an unnamed source tells CNN.Rivers had not given prior consent to the last minute procedure.Investigators believe that Rivers' vocal chords began to swell during the biopsy and cut off oxygen to her lungs, which led to cardiac arrest Aug. 29.She died Sept. 4 at Mount Sinai hospital, never having regained consciousness after the biopsy.Read more here.
WTOP speaks with Washington Post music writer Chris Richards about the state of rapFrom his recent WaPo story:Just as country music is made in Nashville, hip-hop is made in Atlanta. This is the town where the agenda is set, where the competition is cutthroat, where young rappers are discovering new ways to make English sound cool, and where their even-younger beat-makers are grinding away behind the curtains, discreetly running the show.Tune in to 103.5 FM Tuesday afternoon for more.
“We’re the foundation of this stuff,” says Sonny Digital, a 23-year-old producer currently churning out some of the most bonzo music in town. “We know what needs to be heard. And everybody’s listening.”
Read more here.
Courtesy Local Motors3-D car makes debut in D.C.WASHINGTON -- The world’s first 3-D printed car will roll in to D.C.
for its East Coast premiere this week.Creators will showcase how they can take 3-D imaging to the next level by using new technology. The vehicle, which carmakers Local Motors say is drivable, was printed in one solid piece with carbon fiber reinforced materials in just 44 hours."By adding wheels, a steering wheel, windshield and an electric battery for power, Local Motors has created an American manufacturing and automotive first," the company says in a news release.The car will debut Wednesday at the American Energy and Manufacturing Competitiveness
(AEMC) Summit. Click here for more info.
Weekend Best Bets: HyArtsFest, Adams Morgan Day & Taste of Georgetown
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- The 152nd Great Frederick Fair in Maryland is family fun with rides, rich in agricultural education, and entertainment. For info
- Anne Arundel County Fair is good old fashioned family fun with rides, entertainment, animals and more. For info
- 39th Annual Virginia Wine Festival at Great Meadow Park features 50 of the state’s premier wineries with tastings, music and a kids zone. For info
- Alexandria’s King Street Art Festival transforms Old Town into an outdoor gallery featuring the nation’s top artisans with hands on activities, music and more. For info
- Marvel Universe Live at the Patriot Center features high-caliber arena spectacular for the family with more than 25 super heroes and villains assembled in one production, at various showtimes this weekend. For info
Saturday, Sept. 13:
- The 21st Annual Taste of Georgetown is one of D.C.’s most anticipated epicurean street festivals inviting you to Eat, Drink, Play with some of the areas best in food, craft beer, wine and family friendly entertainment. For info
- All Things Go Fall Classic is an alt/indie-rock festival at Union Market by the DC based music promoters. For info
- The 19th Annual Fairfax Irish Folk Festival is a free cultural celebration with traditional music, dance, food and sport. For info
- Virginia Air Show in Front Royal is fun for the family featuring a Flying Circus, military aircraft, hot air balloons, aerial acrobatics and more. For info
- Tyson’s Silver Line Music & Food Truck Festival features a variety of local and national music acts with vendors, art exhibits, refreshments all for charity. For info
- Annual Downtown Hysattsville Arts Festival with over 70 exhibitors, live entertainment, shopping, great food and more. For info
- The Annapolis Craft Beer and Music Festival is a 21 and over event featuring tastings, cooking demos and music of all genres. For info
- Verizon Center has a few seats left for Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull. For info
- The Hamilton presents the Grammy nominated blues of, Shemekia Copeland. For info
- Jammin’ Java hosts the Americana-roots of Steve Forbert. For info
- 9:30 Club presents Charlottesville’s own, Parachute. For info
Sunday, Sept. 14:
- The 36th Annual Adams Morgan Day in NW is a street fest extravaganza with dance, music, kids fair and more. For info
- Jammin’ DC at Freedom Plaza is a free Caribbean & Ethiopian music and arts festival with crafts, vendors, beer garden and a kids zone. For info
- Annual Cider Festival at Great Country Farms in Bluemont has begun with a day of family picking, tastings, rides, live music and more. For info
- Lincoln Theatre presents singer-songwriter, Phillip Phillips. For info
- Verizon Center hosts The Bounce TV Summer Music Festival. For info
- Merriweather Post Pavilion presents Jack White. For info
- The Birchmere presents the roots-rock of The Paul Thorn Band. For info
- The State Theatre it's the Americana-rock of Roger Clyne and The Peacemakers. For info
- Rams Head on Stage has the Americana of Parker Millsap with Lera Lynn. For info
Bill Maher will ruin your Friday night commute
WASHINGTON -- Bill Maher is coming to D.C. for two live shows that will be presented back-to-back Friday on HBO.
He will first host a new edition of "Real Time with Bill Maher" from Sidney Harman Hall.
Then, Maher will rush to the Warner Theatre, where another audience will be waiting for him. He’ll perform a stand-up comedy special to mark his tenth solo special for HBO.
The taping will affect traffic. Here are the road closures that will be in effect Friday night from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.:
- 6th and F Street, NW (Sydney Harmen Theater)
- South on 6th Street from F Street, NW to Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
- Westbound on Pennsylvania Avenue, NW from 6th Street to 13th
- Northbound on 13th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue, NW to the 500 block of
13th Street, NW
New trailer for season 4 of 'Homeland'WASHINGTON -- Rejoice ye fans of espionage and intrigue. There's a new trailer for "Homeland," which returns to TV Oct. 5.Notice any familiar faces from shows such as "House of Cards" and "The Strain?"Homeland Season 4: Trailerby Homeland via YouTube
Local songwriters compete for $10K prizeWASHINGTON -- Aspiring songwriters will compete in March for the chance to win $10,000 and the chance to perform in front of a live audience.The Bethesda Bernard/Ebb Songwriting Awards encourages performers of all ages and levels to apply, but artists who have earned more than $5,000 in royalties in 2014 are ineligible, Patch reports.All genres are welcome, but contestants must be residents of Maryland, Virginia or D.C. Applications are being accepted through Dec. 5. Click here for complete details.
Trump's Atlantic City resorts file for bankruptcyWASHINGTON -- Two of the Donald's casinos are fired!Trump Taj Mahal and Trump Plaza, both in Atlantic City, have declared bankruptcy, CBS Philly reports.The plaza is scheduled to close this week, and the Taj Mahal will close in November. The shutdown at the latter will put 2,800 people out of work in a city who's economy has been struggling this year.More than 5,000 workers lost their jobs when the Showboat and Revel casinos closed over the weekend.
Officials from the New Jersey Department of Labor and the main casino workers' union are helping displaced workers file for jobless benefits and providing them with information on how to sign up for health insurance.
The number of people out of work is expected to swell to nearly 8,000 before the month is over.
When Trump Plaza closes Sept. 16, Atlantic City will have just eight casinos. The city started the year with 12.Click here for a look at how gambling revenue and employment have changed since casinos launched in Atlantic City in 1978.#trumptajmahal #atlanticcityby tuff_luck_lucci via Instagram
'Sun of Guns' actor charged with raping 12-year-oldWASHINGTON -- TMZ is reporting that "Sun of Guns" star Will Hayden is being charged with a rape from 22 years ago. The victim was reportedly 12 years old at the time.She was living with Hayden when the two smoked marijuana in his home. He allegedly clamped his hand over her mouth and raped her, the victim says.Hayden was arrested last month in Louisiana for molesting his adolescent daughter. Hayden claimed that his ex-girlfriend was spreading malicious lies, but then a second daughter claimed the gunsmith also molested her when she was 12 years old.Louisiana officials are investigating the claims.
One Direction offers free download of new single for one day only
WASHINGTON -- Boy wonders One Direction are back with their fourth album in just three years. "Four" comes out Nov. 17 via Syco/Colombia Records.
Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett's 'Good Omens' adapted for radioWASHINGTON -- Happy Monday and welcome to the latest edition of "Neil Gaiman in the News."Fan boys and girls will rejoice today as news trickles out that "Good Omens" is being adapted for BBC Radio 4, Nerdist reports.The story, co-written by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, tells the hilarious tale of an angel and demon teaming up to save the world from the Second Coming. The book is a laugh-out-loud good time, so hopes are high that the radio play will live up to the hype.Mark Heap ("Spaced," "Stardust") will play the angel Azirphale and Peter Serafinowicz ("Guardians of the Galaxy," "Shaun of the Dead") will play the demon Crowley. Both Gaiman and Pratchett will have cameos. ]"Good Omens" is being directed by Dirk Maggs, who also directed the radio version of "Neverwhere." It is slated to come out in 30-minute episodes starting in early December. Happy holidays!Sep. 8, 2014
Courtesy National TheatreHave the time of your life with 'Dirty Dancing' the musical
WASHINGTON -- It was the time of our lives for an entire generation thanks to the sultry dance moves of Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in "Dirty Dancing."
Now, you can relive the unforgettable love story in a new musical at National Theatre in Northwest D.C.
The production, in town through Sept. 14, features some of the same hit songs, including "Hungry Eyes," "Hey Baby," "Do You Love Me?" and "(I've Had) The Time of My Life."
"I grew up watching [the movie]," says Samuel Pergande, who plays hunky Johnny Castle.
"I have a twin sister, and we used to practice 'the lift' in the pool."
"This is a cool show because, no matter what, the audience just eats it up," adds Jillian Mueller, who reprises the role of Frances "Baby" Houseman.
Indeed, "Dirty Dancing" the musical has already made a name for itself across the globe. The London production, which featured Pergande as Robbie and later Johnny, became one of the longest running shows in the West End. It closed in 2011.
The story is set in New York's Catskill Mountains in the summer of 1963. Baby is on vacation with her family, and becomes mesmerized by the racy dance moves she discovers in the resort staff's living quarters. She longs to be part of the excitement, but her dad has other plans for his little girl.
Like Baby, Mueller is no stranger to working long hours to get what she wants. The New Jersey native spent her childhood singing and dancing, and eventually made her way onto Broadway. She has starred in "Flashdance," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," "Bye Bye Birdie" and Green Day's "American Idiot."
"I never wanted to be normal," she says. "I always wanted to be on stage."
Growing as a dancer wasn't as easy for Pergande. Born in Milwaukee, he encountered resistance from people who teased him for wanting to study ballet. He quit dancing "because of the ridicule," but was soon inspired to ignore the gibes and continue following his passion.
His biggest inspiration?
"Patrick Swayze had an incredible sense of masculinity," he says. "You never questioned his performance or his right to be a dancer."
Watching Swayze shoot to stardom after the 1987 film encouraged Pergande to continue dancing. Now, he says playing Johnny is a dream come true.
"The reality is, this is a fantastic love story," he says. "It just never gets old."
Read more here.Dirty Dancing - Time of my Life (Final Dance) - High Qualityby CPhillips92 via YouTube
Weekend Best Bets: Maryland Seafood Fest, Jazz Fests, Takoma Folk Fest and Marvel Live
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- 47th Annual Maryland Seafood Festival at Sandy Point State Park is billed as tasty and entertaining with activities for everyone, great seafood, arts & crafts, music and more. For info
- Burke Centre Fall Festival this weekend has something for everyone with a nature show, rides, arts & crafts, musical entertainment and a wine garden. For info
- Prince George’s County Fair at the Show Place Arena is Maryland’s oldest running fair featuring good old fashioned family fun with rides, music and entertainment, vendors and more. For info
- 42nd Annual Community Mediterranean Festival, at St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church in NW, is a cultural celebration with food, games, vendors, music and kids activities. For info
- Marvel Universe Live at Verizon Center is a high-caliber arena spectacular for the family that features the most Marvel characters ever assembled in one production at various showtimes this weekend. For info
Saturday September 6:
- 24th Annual Rosslyn Jazz Fest at Gateway Park features Grammy winner performers with a host of local food trucks, fashion, wine and more. For info
- Silver Spring Jazz Festival at Veteran’s Plaza is an annual free event held outdoors with great music and food. For info
- The 51st Annual Villa Rosa Italian Festival in Mitchellville, Maryland is a cultural celebration for everyone with traditional food, music and kids activities. For info
- Generations Community Festival at the Gateway Pavillion, SE celebrates older adults with fun for the family including entertainment, demonstrations and a kids zone. For info
- Dragon Boat Races take over Baltimore’s Inner Harbor see the colorful boats manned by enthusiastic crews in a setting of shopping, dining and entertainment. For info
- Merriweather Post Pavillion hosts singer-songwriter, Ed Sheeran. For info
- Wolf Trap has animalistic acrobatics in a musical adventure, Cirque Dreams - Jungle Fantasy. For info
- Rams Head On Stage presents celtic rockers, Young Dubliners. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live features Aerosmith: Let Rock Rule with Slash. For info
Sunday September 7:
- Takoma Park Folk Festival is where you can enjoy music and dance from around the world on 7 stages complete with a children’s nook of music, activities and more. For info
- First Sunday Arts Festival in downtown Annapolis is a street fair, fest, entertainment venue featuring fun for all. For info
- Cambodian Community Day in Silver Spring celebrates the culture with vibrant entertainment, traditional food, dance and a host of activities. For info
- The 41st Annual Catonsville Arts and Crafts Festival is a street festival featuring artisans of every genre with music and entertainment, vendors and more. For info
Joan Rivers' daughter issues Facebook statement:
"It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers. She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother.
Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received from around the world. They have been heard and appreciated.
My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon." - Melissa RiversJoan Riversvia Facebook at 3:24 PM
New Georgetown mural celebrates neighborhood's past and presentWASHINGTON -- A new mural in Georgetown is being unveiled Friday as part of a redevelopment effort by the Georgetown Business Improvement District.Local artist Sidney Lawrence has created a reproduction of a pen-and-ink drawing that "that evokes the area’s past and present via the canal."
According to his artist’s statement:
"This triptych invokes the past and present of Georgetown via its C& O Canal. At center is a digitally-altered blow-up of a fanciful, obsessively detailed, pen-and-ink aerial drawing of modern Georgetown, bustling with cars, people and commercial activity. With M Street on one side and the Potomac on the other, the canal wends its way gently across the composition, marked by bright red and blue lines that encourage the viewer to inspect its reach across and away from the urban landscape. This central panel is flanked by two red-toned period photos—one showing the distinctive arched bridge that crosses the canal at Wisconsin Avenue (purported to be the oldest bridge in Washington), and the other of mules tugging cargo boats further up the waterway. I would like this triptych to work as a reminder of how the C&O Canal offers both a sanctuary from urban bustle and a window to the past, not just a picturesque past, but a past with some heft. Georgetown was a working, industrial port. Its canal went inland with cargo boats powered by mules, and a stone bridge was erected to keep this activity uninterrupted.The canal and its boats, which seem so antique to us today, actually kept this city
going."The mural will be on display at the former Latham Hotel through Oct. 15. It will later be auctioned to support historic preservation.
Survivor singer Jimi Jamison dies at 63
WASHINGTON -- Jimi Jamison, lead singer of the rock band Survivor, died Sunday. He was 63.
Rolling Stone reports that Jamison joined the group in 1984 and left in 1988, but not before singing on such hits as "The Moment of Truth," from the movie "The Karate Kid"; "Is This Love"; and "Burning Heart," which was featured in the soundtrack to "Rocky IV."
His solo song "I'm Always Here" was the theme song for the TV series "Baywatch."
Jamison succeeded original lead singer David Bickler, who sang on the band's biggest hit, "Eye of the Tiger," Rolling Stone says.
In the 1990s, there was conflict over who owned the rights to the name Survivor, Rolling Stone reports, but all parties eventually made up and recently the band performed with both singers.
Read more here.Survivor is very shocked & saddened by the passing of our brother Jimi Jamison. Our thoughts,love & prayers go out to his friends & family.Sep. 1, 2014
Trivago guy to get a makeoverWASHINGTON -- For whatever reason, the Trivago guy really gets under some people's skin.It could be his five o'clock shadow or his rumpled shirt. Or it could be his (fake?) accent that no one can quite place."He just looks dirty," says a WTOP staffer.Good news for those viewers who demand a more polished appearance from TV personalities: He's getting a makeover and you can help pick his next look.Just head to Trivago's Facebook page and vote on which outfit floats your boat. And don't forget to tweet your preference using hashtag #TrivagoGuy.Hey, @mattdpearce! We want you to vote for his next outfit!
#trivagoGuy is getting a makeover: http://t.co/KmZ41AUWnr http://t.co/PpNsZpNJzzAug. 28, 2014
Labor Day Entertainment Best Bets
By Mary DePompa
- Maryland State Fair it’s the last day for family entertainment for very little with food, music, horse racing and more. For info http://www.marylandstatefair.com
- The 60th Annual Greenbelt Labor Day Festival is a family fun day of rides, entertainment, arts, music and more. For info http://greenbeltlaborday.com
- Maryland Renaissance Festival offers a family friendly 16th century village with authentic food, music, games and entertainment. For info http://www.rennfest.com
- National Harbor presents Cirque du Soleil: Amaluna with various times to experience a mysterious island through aerial tricks and feats. For info http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/amaluna/tickets.aspx
- Old Town Gaithersburg Labor Day Parade is rain or shine fun for the family with cars, fire trucks, dancers, bands and more. For info http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/leisure/labor-day-parade
- Kensington Maryland’s Labor Day Parade and Festival is an annual free event with an art show and activities for kids. For info http://www.explorekensington.com
- Herndon Labor Day Festival features music, crafts, kids activities and more. For info http://www.herndon-va.gov/Content/Parks_rec/SpecialEvents/Labor_Day_Festival/
- Glen Echo Park has its 44th Annual Labor Day Art Show and Irish Music and Dance Showcase. For info http://www.glenechopark.org
- FLOFest DC is a music, wine and literary festival for the 21 an older. For info http://www.flofestdc.com/#about-flofest
- Bohemian Caverns, D.C.’s legendary jazz club, presents the Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra. For info http://www.bohemiancaverns.com/calendar/
- Daylight at Gypsy Sally’s Georgetown Waterfront is the ultimate classic soul dance party. For info http://www.eventbrite.com/e/daylight-gypsy-sallys-georgetown-harbor-labor-day-weekend-pay-at-the-door-7pm-tickets-12539238199
- Epicure Cafe in Fairfax hosts a Monday Open Mic. For info http://www.epicurecafe.org/category/events/
- Nola Cafe in Frederick Maryland also featuring a Monday Open Mic. For info http://www.eventbrite.com/o/cafe-nola-4020373989
Foodies Unite at Epicurience Virginia with the best local wine and food.
Weekend Best Bets: Foodies Unite at Epicurience, Electric Run, Patsy Cline & DC Blues
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Maryland State Fair provides fun family entertainment for very little money with food, music, horse racing and more. For info
- The 60th Annual Greenbelt Labor Day Festival is a weekend of family fun with rides, entertainment, arts, music and more. For info
- 1814 Brookeville Capital for a Day Bicentennial Celebration an historic street festival rich in history, crafts, tours, games for kids, food, drink and more. For info
- National Harbor hosts Cirque du Soleil: Amaluna with various times all weekend to experience a mysterious island through aerial tricks and feats. For info
- Maryland Renaissance Festival is a family-friendly, 16th century village with food, music, games and entertainment. For info
- Electric Run DC at RFK Stadium is fun for all ages, Saturday and Sunday night, don your Glow Sticks and race through magical motifs pumped with music. For info
Saturday, Aug. 30:
- 26th Annual D.C. Blues Festival at Carter Baron is free for the family with electrifying blues, workshops and a musical petting zoo. For info
- The National Book Festival at the D.C. Convention Center is where you meet and hear poets, authors with signings, special entertainment and film programs. For info
- Celebrate Charles March from Benedict is a war of 1812 commemoration that features great historical sights and sounds with kids activities, amusements, artisans and more. For into
- Lake Anne Jazz & Blues Festival in Reston is a free, all day, family-friendly event featuring regional and national artists encompassed by great shopping, dining and more. For info
- Patsy Cline Music Festival in Winchester celebrates the hometown legend with music, street festival, tours, souvenirs and food. For info
- Epicurience Virginia at Leesburg’s Morven Park is an epic food and wine festival, 200 years in the making, featuring the best in local wines, farm-to-table cuisine prepared by top chefs from around the country. For info
- Wolf Trap has Nick Jr.’s rock sensations, The Fresh Beat Band. For Info
- 9:30 Club presents M.H. & His Orchestra with the Walking Sticks and Black Masala. For info
- The Strathmore presents country-rock legends the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. For info
- Hill Country Live offers the meat and potatoes rock of Hollis Brown. For info
- Blues Alley it's Grammy winning blues guitarist Chris Thomas King all weekend. For info
- Gypsy Sally’s presents N’arlins gypsy brass circus, Dirty Bourbon River Show. For info
Sunday, Aug. 31:
- Epicurience Picnic at Greenhill Winery continues Loudoun’s epic food and wine festival featuring the best in local wine and produce. For info
- Shenandoah Valley Music Festival hosts locally grown, Eddie From Ohio. For info
- Wolf Trap hosts guitar great, George Benson. For info
- Labor Day Concert at the U.S. Capitol features a free performance by the National Symphony Orchestra. For info
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz host a world class bassist with The Avon Lucas Project. For info
- IOTA Cafe hosts The 9 Songwriter Series. For info
- Jammin' Java has a local music review with Tandem North, Save the Arcadian and Alissa Feudo. For info
Mini 'Friends' reunion on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
WASHINGTON -- Fans of NBC's "Friends" don't have to wait for a reunion show -- they got a snippet of one thanks to Jimmy Kimmel Wednesday.
Jennifer Aniston appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Wednesday night, but it turned into a mini-reunion for "Friends" co-stars, complete with the famous kitchen set.
Aniston played her sitcom character, Rachel, while Kimmel played Ross, who was portrayed by David Schwimmer on the show. Aniston was joined by fellow "Friends," Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow.
Read the full story here.Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow and Jimmy Kimmel in "Friends"by Jimmy Kimmel Live via YouTube
ZZ Top, Jeff Beck D.C. show canceledWASHINGTON -- Bad news if you have tickets for the ZZ Top and Jeff Beck show at 9:30 Club Sept. 3: It's been canceled.A radio station in Detroit reports that ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill slipped while boarding the tour bus and severely injured his hip. All ZZ Top dates have been suspended pending his recovery.Refunds for the D.C. show are available at point of purchase. If you purchased your tickets online, you will receive an automatic refund.
Was Sarah Silverman stoned at the Emmys?WASHINGTON -- Seems like the answer is yes, she was high Monday night when she accepted an award for her HBO show, "Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles."The comedienne whipped out her portable vaporizer pen and liquid pot during a red carpet interview with E! News, according to the New York Daily News."This is my pot," she said on TV. "This is what everything's really supposed to be in."Later, she accepted her award barefoot and was heard backstage joking that she would be taking a trip to 7-Eleven for snacks after the awards ceremony.In California, medical marijuana is legal with a prescription from a doctor. We can only guess Silverman is the proud owner of a pot card?#SarahSilverman Breaks Out #VapePen live on TV at #Emmys! She rules! #Marijuana VIDEO HERE: http://t.co/pCw07Z3JoV http://t.co/RFtb3PLy1OAug. 26, 2014
A new 'Full House' show could be in the worksWASHINGTON -- Its seems that nothing is ever actually new these days. That is never more true than when it comes to Hollywood, which insists on making and remaking and then remaking again the same shows and movies in perpetuity.It shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that a "Full House" reboot is in the works.John Stamos aka Uncle Jesse, executive producer Bob Boyett and creator Jeff Franklin are in talks to bring a new version of the '90s show back to life with Warner Bros. TV, E! Online reports.The complete cast, including Bob Saget, is reportedly on board, but there is no word on whether the Olson twins will participate in the reboot."Full House" Guys Reunite On Jimmy Fallon (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon)by The Tonight Show Sta... via YouTube
ISIS the band gets confused with ISIS the terrorist groupWASHINGTON -- At this point, pretty much everyone knows the name ISIS.But did you know that long before the terrorist group started making headlines with their horrific acts of violence there was a post-rock/ heavy metal band with the same name?The latter has been around since the late-1990s and is no longer touring or recording. But that hasn't stopped some people from confusing the band ISIS with the terrorist group.ABC News reports that the band has received death threats and messages from fans who refuse to wear their shirts."'It certainly caught us off guard,' Aaron Harris, the band's former drummer, tells ABC News.In an effort to distance itself from the group that recently beheaded American journalist James Foley, ISIS the band has changed its Facebook name.“It is an unfortunate situation and of course a few less than enlightened people are not seeing the distinction between an inactive band of musicians and a band of terrorists involved in current world affairs,” a representative from Ipecac, the band’s label, tells ABC News.Check out the band live in Sweden below:Isis - Live Swedish TV Performanceby Aenima8427 via YouTube
Robin Williams' bike sells for $20,000 at charity eventWASHINGTON -- The actor's handmade Pegoretti bicycle went for $20,000 this weekend at the Drever Family Foundation’s annual gala in Tiburon, California, the small bay-side town Robin Williams called home.Just weeks before his untimely death, Williams donated his bike to charity, Page Six reports. He was close friends with Jan and Maxwell Drever, and had planned on attending the charity event.The Drever Family Foundation "is a private philanthropic organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life by supporting education and the Arts. The Foundation hopes to perform as a catalyst for education, the arts, and change in perpetuity," according to the organization's website.Click here to see a photo of the bike.
Weekend Best Bets: County Fair, Wine, Music & BBQ fests and Racing
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Maryland State Fair starts this week with great family fun, rides, games and national headlining music. For info
- Country Life Festival at the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds celebrates the great outdoors and good old fashioned family fun with fishing, trucks, dogs, beer and music. For info
- Augustoberfest in Hargerstown is a 2 day Bavarian festival of food, fun and entertainment that glimpses into German culture through music, dance and song. For info
- Maryland Renaissance Festival in Crownsville is one of the nation's largest 16th-century celebration of food, music, games and culture with 10 stages on 22 acres. For info
Saturday, August 23:
- Uncorked Wine and Music Festival in Rockville features the best in wines from across Maryland, 2 stages of music, cooking demos and more. For info
- Taste of Prince Georges Food & Wine Festival at Six Flags America in Bowie is a celebrated foodie event bringing together the best in food, wine and entertainment. For info
- Easterns Bayside Blues and Wine Festival in Essex offers an assortment of great blues and wine in a family friendly environment. For info
- Trillectro Festival at RFK is the DC bred music fest combining electronic and hip-hop featuring acts that span the gambit where gold grills meet glowsticks. For info
- Capital Dragon Boat Regatta along the Southwest Waterfront is a free spectacle for the family as colorful crew filled boats race along the Potomac. For info
- Shenandoah Valley TasteFest in Winchester with some of the areas best with chef demos, tastings, and kids activities. For info
- BBQ and Bluegrass at the Breaux in Purcellville is a fine farewell to summer with an afternoon of music, tastings, tours, vendors and more. For info
- Welcome to the Workhouse Party at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton is and annual open house with vendors, live entertainment, chef demos and more. For info
- Rams Head on Stage presents 80’s chart toppers, Player. For info
- Jammin' Java has the unique stringed instrumentation of, Songs of Water. For info
- The Birchmere has the star of Broadways’ A Night With Janis Joplin, Mary Bridget Davies. For info
- 9:30 Club offers Big Star’s Third: An Orchestrated Performance of the Legendary Album featuring and all-star line up. For info
- The Lincoln Theatre presents a night of great R&B with Musiq Soulchild, Jon B and Dave Hollister. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live a few seats left for the country music, Platinum Tour featuring Miranda Lambert. For info
- The Hamilton hosts a night of great American rock with Alternate Routes and Red Wanting Blue. For info
- Tally Ho Theatre in Leesburg hosts the legendary, Leon Russell. For info
Sunday, August 24:
- 2014 Redskins Rides Car Show in Ashburn is great fun for the family cool cars, Redskins, food and fun. For info
- Bluegrass & Bad to the Bone BBQ at the Bull Run Winery in Centreville, Virginia is an afternoon of fun, food and music. For info
- Maryland International Raceway at Budds Creek features a day at the races with car show, contests, vendors, music and more. For info
- Jammin' Java hosts some of the areas best and brightest music in Local Scene. For info
- IOTA hosts singer-songwriters, Brett Harris, Pat Sansone and Skylar Gudasz. For info
- Howard Theatre presents the ambassador of tap, Savion Glover. For info
- 9:30 Club hosts the legendary, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelics. For info
Wanda Sykes returns home to D.C.WASHINGTON -- Native daughter Wanda Sykes is returning to where it all began.The comedian is coming back to the D.C. region and will be performing at the Music Center at Strathmore Sept. 20 at 8 p.m.From Strathmore:"Named 'one of the 25 funniest people in America!' by Entertainment Weekly, Sykes got her start in stand-up at a 1987 talent showcase in Washington, D.C., where she performed for the first time in front of a live audience. She continued to hone her talents at local venues while working at the NSA until moving to New York City in 1992.
Her career in television began with HBO’s critically acclaimed 'Chris Rock Show.' As a performer and writer on the program, she was nominated for three Emmys and in 1999 won the Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Special. In 2001, she won the American Comedy Award for Outstanding Female Stand Up Comic. She won three more Emmys, in 2002, 2004, and 2005, for her work on 'Inside the NFL.'"
Tickets are $39 to $129. Click here for more info.
Prepare for 'The Simpsons' marathon of a lifetimeWASHINGTON -- Miss the days of Homer smacking Bart upside the head, or Lisa wistfully playing the saxophone alone in her room?Then you are in luck.All 552 episodes will air back-to-back on FXX. The 12-day marathon starts Thursday at 10 a.m. and ends Sept. 1 with the feature-length movie.Click here for a full schedule.The Simpsons Season 20 Episode 11 - How the Test Was Wonby AnimeTezuka via YouTube
Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett among 'Jungle Book' castWASHINGTON -- Hollywood is pulling out all the stops when it comes to the remake of childhood classic "The Jungle Book."The ensemble cast boasts impressive star power, including Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Naomie Harris, Tom Hollander, Eddie Marsan, Peter Mullan and Benedict Cumberbatch, according to The Hollywood Reporter.The ambitious film is rumored to use a combination of motion capture, CG animation and live action.Read the full story here. And then fondly remember the original version:Bare Necessitiesby Flexz via YouTube
Catholic University announces upcoming productionsAnd they are:
Oct. 9-12. Directed by M.F.A. directing candidate Orion Jones.
Through an experimental exploration of Sophocles’s tragedy, this production reveals that the classic story of one man’s ambition and downfall is frighteningly contemporary.
Nov. 20-23. Directed by M.F.A. directing candidate Elena Velasco.
An adaptation of Shakespeare’s Winter’s Tale set in colonial Mexico, La Perdida incorporates magic and music to offer a new vision of the classic romance.
Conversations I’ve Never Had
Feb. 13-22. Written by M.F.A. playwriting candidate Kathleen Burke.
Newlyweds Ruth and Brad’s happy life is disrupted by a mysterious figure from Ruth’s past. With the help of her sister Amy, Ruth and Brad struggle to find a way to save their marriage from each other.
The Mage Knights of Eternal Light
Feb. 14-21. Written by M.F.A. playwriting candidate Amanda Zeitler.
After the death of her father, the power of Dawn’s grief pulls fantasy characters, both heroes and villains, out of her father’s favorite book. Their appearance jeopardizes her already crumbling relationship with her family and friends.
April 23-26. Directed by Eleanor Holdridge, director of the MFA Directing program.
A new work by Lauren Gunderson, the award-winning playwright of I and You, The Revolutionists is a brutal comedic quartet about four very real women who lived boldly in France during the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror.
Snow day for dogs this weekend in RestonWASHINGTON -- It might only be August, but dogs will get a taste of winter this weekend thanks to a special snow day in Reston, Virginia.Unleashed by Petco is hosting a fun day for canines and their owners complete with snow machines, pet adoptions and free giveaways.The snow day will take place Saturday at the Reston Town Center. Festivities kick off at 9 a.m. Click here for more info.Summer Snow Day at Unleashed by Petcoby Petco via YouTube
Matthew McConaughey defends the fanny packWASHINGTON -- Many Americans don't understand the fanny pack. It is considered the ultimate sign of a tourist or the telltale sign of a nerd. Either way, fanny packs are generally shunned.
Matthew McConaughey, on the other hand, insists that he's "not afraid of the fanny pack."
“You gotta kinda put it on the side to make it look a little not as nerdy, but still, practicality wins out. I got so much gear in here that I don’t want in my pockets," the "True Detective" star tells the New York Post.
McConaughey was spotted rocking the questionable fashion statement Sunday at Boston's Fenway Park. The accessory was shocking enough that it inspired an entire interview with CSN Houston’s Julia Morales.Watch it below:
"Hey there, I’m your friend Mike Doughty. I’m making a new album, called Stellar Motel, produced by DJ Good Goose; I’ve also got an album of 14 Soul Coughing songs, played live (some with a band, some acoustic) called Live at Ken’s House."Former Soul Coughing frontman is crowdsourcing new albumWASHINGTON -- Call it creative fundraising: Some fans of Mike Doughty, the former singer of Soul Coughing, are digging his idea to incorporate them into his new album.
Doughty is reaching out to fans to help support his new solo record, to be called "Stellar Motel," by offering to make them part of the experience -- for a price.
"At its best a pledge campaign is people feeling like they really joined a team and making this record with me is a cause," Doughty says on his website.
To raise money for the new project, he's offering to sell the guitars with which he's recording the album, put on a private concert, list fan names in the credits, even type out the lyrics to one of his songs and sign it.
The donation options range from $18 to $20,000.
Arcade Fire covers Fugazi's 'Waiting Room'WASHINGTON – Arcade Fire fans got a special treat at the Verizon Center Sunday night when the band covered local legends Fugazi.They did so while decked out in presidential masks. I spy Obama and (maybe) Nixon?
Watch a video below:by WTOPEnt via YouTube 8/19/2014 2:33:58 PM
Legendary skateboarder Jay Adams dead at 53WASHINGTON -- Lord of Dogtown Jay Adams has died, TMZ reports.The legendary skateboarder was on an extended surfing vacation in Mexico with his wife when he had a fatal heart attack.The 53-year-old, who suffered from a lifelong battle with drugs, had been sober for months. This trip was the first time in 20 years Adams was allowed to leave the United States thanks to various drug charges, according to TMZ.The image of a teenage Adams skateboarding in California has become one of the iconic photos from the Venice Beach scene:
Weekend Best Bets: Fairs, Cultural Festivals, Gamers Unite and Music Galore
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- 42nd Annual Lucketts Fair offers crafts, food, antiques, kids activities, music and more. For info
- Winchester Greek Festival in its 50th year celebrates the culture with great food, drink and music. For info
- D.C. Convention Center hosts the Video Gamers United Conference with state-of-the-art games, workshops, displays and arcade for gamers of all ages. For info
- VietFest 2014 at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton is a family friendly Vietnamese heritage festival with traditional entertainment, music, dance, cuisine and a kids zone. For info
- Backyard Science Days at the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor is a two-day science extravaganza with hands-on activities, animal encounters, stomp rockets, vegetable races and so much more. For info
- Warner Theatre presents Pokémon Symphonic Evolutions the orchestrated recap of nearly 20 years is not just for Pokémon fans but for music lovers of all ages. Shows Friday and Saturday, For info
- National Harbor hosts Cirque du Soleil’s Amaluna at various showtimes all weekend inviting the audience to a mysterious island guided by cycles of the moon and governed by Goddesses. For info
Saturday August 16:
- Silopanna Music Festival at the Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds is a day filled with fun, food and great music. For info
- Hot August Music Festival in Cockeysville, Maryland, billed as summer’s hottest music festival with a host of kids activities. For info
- Jazz Fest 2014 at Bethlehem Landing in Edgemere, Maryland great day of music, bring your own lawn chair, kids under 12 are free. For info
- Summer Wine and Peach Festival in Silver Spring with live music, slam poets, craft beer and a plethora of local peaches and treats, you must be 21 or over. For info
- Prince William County Fair in its last day of family fun with rides, games, animals, entertainment and more. For info
- DC Fest 2014 at the Patriot Center area’s leading summer Christian music festival with an all-star lineup. For info
- DC International Beerfest at Dock 5 @ Union Market, NE offers 120+ craft beers from around the globe, 30+ wines with games, arts, live music, food trucks for 21 and up. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live has parrot heads uniting for Jimmy Buffet. For info
- The Birchmere hosts country crooner, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives. For info
- DAR Constitution Hall offers the incomparable Tori Amos. For info
- Wolf Trap hosts the world’s most beloved pop group, ABBA. For info
- Jammin Java has a night of Americana with the Christian Lopez Band and Chelsea McBee and the Random Assortment. For info
- The Howard Theaters its the smooth R&B of Grammy nominated, Eric Roberson. For info
- The Hamilton presents N’warlins own, Flow Tribe complete with a dance floor. For info
- Rock and Roll Hotel its the experimental punk super group, United Nations. For info
- Gypsy Sally’s hosts alt-country rockers, The Walkaways. For info
- Nats Park post game concerts has country legend, Martina McBride. For info
Sunday August 17:
- Bull Run Winery in Centreville, Virginia it's Civil War Day, with wine tasting, live music featuring Joseph Keith complete with The Bad to the Bone BBQ Food Truck. For info
- Thomas Stone Historic Site in Port Tobacco offers a free family concert featuring the US Navy Brass Quartet. For info
- Alexanria’s Restaurant Week begins with 60 restaurants offering special deals, fixed dining options, explore new flavors, see why critics rave about this unique dining scene. For info
- Verizon Center presents Arcade Fire’s Reflektor Tour. For info
- The State Theatre its guitar blues-rock great, Jonny Lang. For info
- Jammin Java hosts a singer-songwriter night with the legendary, Dan Navarro and Barnaby Bright. For info
- Rams Head on Stage offers rock legends, Foghat. For info
- The Birchmere presents R&B rock all-stars, Trigger Hippy featuring Joan Osborne. For info
Robin Williams was in early stages of Parkinson's disease
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease and was sober at the time of his suicide, his wife said Thursday.
In a statement, Susan Schneider said that Williams, 63, was struggling with depression, anxiety and the Parkinson's diagnosis when he was found dead Monday in his Northern California home.
Schneider did not offer details on when the actor comedian had been diagnosed or his symptoms.
Williams' death shocked fans and friends alike, despite his candor about decades of struggle with substance abuse and mental health. With Parkinson's, Williams faced shouldering yet another challenge.
Parkinson's disease is an incurable nervous system disorder that involves a loss of brain cells controlling movement. Tremors, sometimes starting out in just one hand, are among the early symptoms.
It can also cause rigid, halting walking, slowed speech and sometimes dementia. Symptoms worsen over time and can often be treated with drugs.Read more here.And read the full statement here.
National Portrait Gallery adds Lauren Bacall photoWASHINGTON -- Sultry Hollywood star Lauren Bacall has been added to the National Portrait Gallery's "American Cool' exhibit, which features other famous legends such as James Dean, Madonna and Frank Sinatra.The photo was taken in 1949 by Alfred Eisenstaedt for Life magazine. It will be on display through Sept. 7.Bacall died Tuesday at the age of 89.An image of Robin Williams, who also died this week, has been added to the gallery's permanent collection.
Michael Jackson's new music video released on Twitter
WASHINGTON -- The King of Pop is ruling Twitter.
The Twitter account for Michael Jackson, who died more than five years ago, released a “short film” for his posthumous single on the social network. The video was released exclusively on Twitter at 10 p.m.
The song, “A Place With No Name,” is the most recent single from Jackson’s posthumous album “XSCAPE.”It’s time! The first ever premiere of "A Place With No Name" right now on Twitter #MJXSCAPEhttps://t.co/rRA0KJEBpgAug. 13, 2014
Since the link was tweeted at 10 p.m. Wednesday, there have been more than 44,800 retweest and more than 44,200 favorites, as of 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
The debut of Jackson’s video on Twitter is one of the first times a major music video has premiered on the social media platform.
"Music is the No. 1 most-discussed subject on Twitter in the U.S., and 50 percent of all of our users follow at least one musician," Shavone Charles, a Twitter spokeswoman, said to USA TODAY. "Music fans from around the globe flock to Twitter to discover and discuss new music in the moment."
The video was posted on YouTube Thursday morning:Michael Jackson - A Place With No Nameby michaeljacksonVEVO via YouTube
'The Wizard of Oz' anniversary show opens FridayWASHINGTON -- ArtInsights Gallery in Reston is teaming with Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia for an exhibit and sale of official "The Wizard of Oz" art.The exhibit, "There's No Place Like Home," will be on display through Sept. 15. An open house from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday is free and open to the public, along with an event featuring Warner Bros. artist Andrea Alvin from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.Ten percent of profits from the sale of art during the exhibit will be donated to Habitat for Humanity.On the Yellow Brick Road to @artinsights #WizardofOz show. Great art. Good time. #JohnAlvin #habitat #AndreaAlvin http://t.co/HYfLm29mwDAug. 13, 2014
Robin Williams movie tributes kick off this week
WASHINGTON -- No doubt Robin Williams fans will be dusting off old DVD's and replaying the gifted performer's greatest films in the days ahead.
For those who want to relive the experience of seeing him on the big screen, head to West End Cinema Friday for a tribute to the late actor.
Starting Friday, the theater will screen "Good Will Hunting," which earned Williams an Academy Award for best supporting actor, "The Birdcage" and "The Fisher King."
M Net Movies on DSYTV plans a weekend tribute, airing films including "Hook," "Awakenings," and "Good Morning, Vietnam."
Netflix is featuring seven of Williams' comedies, including "Jumanji," "The Fisher
King," and "Popeye."
Try more gum! from "The Birdcage"by Andreas Basler via YouTube
Weekend Best Bets: Fairs and Festivals, Toy Trains, KidStock and Seinfeld
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Havre de Grace Seafood Festival honors Chesapeake Bay food traditions with great entertainment, music and it's free. For info
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair begins a week long run with rides, entertainment, animals and a kid zone. For info
- Arlington County Fair family fun with rides and music. For info
- Prince William County Fair in Manassas offers great family entertainment with rides, games, entertainment and more. For info
- Kennedy Center presents the beloved comedic observations of the one and only Jerry Seinfeld at various showtimes both Friday and Saturday. For info
- National Harbor has Cirque Du Soleil’s Amaluna inviting the audience to a mysterious island guided by the cycles of the moon and governed by goddesses. For info
- FestAfrica in Silver Spring is a family friendly cultural celebration featuring authentic cuisine, venders, music and lots more. For info
- Dulles Expo Center presents Greenberg’s Train and Toy Show, a family spectacular with over 100 exhibitors from across the country, workshops, activities and more. For info
Saturday August 9:
- 2014 Sophie & Madigan’s KidStock in Frederick, Maryland, is an all-day kids celebration and remembrance honoring two girls who loved music, dance and art. For info
- Arts & Jerk Festival at Bowie BaySox Stadium is an all out Caribbean celebration with food, music and more. For info
- New Vintage Jazz & Wine Festival at the Fair Grounds on Half Street will feature great contemporary jazz with Art Whino on hand and a variety of food trucks and learn about wine from the experts. For info
- American Art Museum hosts Beach Party Family Festival with music, games, crafts and more. For info
- Shenandoah State Park Riverfest is a day filled with family fun in and out of the water with canoeing, tubing, music food and lots of hands on activities for kids. For info
- The Ballyshaners Irish Festival in Alexandria is a day of authentic cultural entertainment for the family with vendors, crafts, games, music and dance. For info
- The Birchmere presents country-rock pioneers Pure Prairie League and Firefall. For info
- Fillmore Silver Spring presents the ultimate tribute in Led Zepplin 2. For info
- Carter Barron offers a free Reggae Night with former Wailer, Junior Marvin. For info
- The Howard Theatre hosts pan jazz legend, Ken “Professor" Philmore backed by Spur of the Moment. For info
- Pier Six Pavilion in Baltimore rock with the Wilson sisters, Heart. For info
- The Hamilton offers the Celtic blending bluegrass, Americana, rock of Carbon Leaf. For info
- Jammin Java presents a night of southern blues-rock with The Black Cadillacs and Thomas Wynn & The Believers. For info
Sunday August 10:
- Taste of Linganore in Mt. Airy, Maryland, is a food and wine festival offering something for everyone with tastings, pairings, music and more. For info
- National Sailing Hall of Fame in Annapolis presents the 50th Anniversary of the Alberg 30 with a parade, race and other festivities. For info
- Dog Days Peach Festival at Bluemont, Virginia’s Great Country Farms offers fun for the family and fido with games, rides, demonstrations and more. For info
- Wolf Trap hosts pop singer-songwriters Gavin DeGraw and Matt Nathanson. For info
- Rams Head on Stage presents bluegrass-country-soul of The SteelDrivers. For info
- Blues Alley has songwriter, pianist, and four-octave vocalist, Kenny Wesley with two shows. For info
- Pier Six Pavilion in Baltimore has just a few seats left for Panic! At the Disco: The Gospel Tour. For info
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz offers the legendary, Rita Coolidge. For info
Keiffer McLean and the Curiosity Club, remember that name!
Amy Freedman, wtop.com
WASHINGTON -- As the co-host of an open mic I have the opportunity to hear lots of emerging bands and solo artists.
It's extremely rare that one completely stops me in my tracks. Last night during my regular
first and third Thursday open mic at McGinty's in Silver Spring a group that is on tour happened to stop by.
Keiffer and the Curiosity Club are from Regina-Saskatchewan, Canada and passing through our area on the way to Musikfest in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Keiffer McLean sings and plays acoustic guitar along with Danny Jones on stand-up bass and Robert McLean on percussion. The vibe is laid back but the tunes are intricate with unpredictable progressions and engaging lyrics.
These guys have that hard to describe something ... completely unique yet somehow familiar.
If you enjoy catching emerging artists on their way up then Friday's free show at Republic in Takoma Park is a must. The show starts at 10 p.m.
You may very well end up saying you saw them when!
Keiffer and the Curiosity Club: 10 p.m., Friday August 8 at Republic, Takoma Park. Admission: Free
D.C. could soon be home to a new comedy club ... if enough money is raised.The New Washington DC Comedy Club recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to add another venue to the District, which, according to the project's leader, Ed Blaze, is home to only one such place for local and national comedians.The goal of the campaign is to raise $50,000; currently, it's raised more than $15,000. Read more about the project and what it's trying to create on its Kickstarter page.
Jon Stewart, host of “Daily Show,” comments on the corruption trial of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife, Maureen. In a segment, Stewart said “Virginia is for lovers … of
The McDonnells are charged in a 14-count indictment with promoting Star Scientific Inc. CEO Jonnie Williams’ products in exchange for $165,000 in gifts and secret loans.
Oprah chows down on some Baltimore crabsWASHINGTON -- Who doesn't love a good crab feast, especially when you're near the Chesapeake Bay?Oprah certainly seems to enjoy chowing down on the crustaceans. She was spotted with longtime partner Stedman Graham in Baltimore earlier this week.Naturally, they documented the feast:Crab feast in Baltimore! #CaptainJamesby oprah via Instagram
'House of Cards' filming will ruin your commuteWASHINGTON -- The wildly popular Netflix show will be shooting some scenes in D.C. Saturday from noon to 10 p.m.Several major intersections downtown will be affected, according to Metro's announcement. Watch out for the following closings:Film:
3rd St NW btw Independence and Pennsylvania Ave
7th St NW btw Independence and Pennsylvania Ave
9th St NW btw Independence and Pennsylvania Ave
15th St NW btw Pennsylvania and Constitution Ave
Pennsylvania Ave NW btw 3rd and 15th St
Constitution Ave NW btw 15th and 3rd St
Independence Ave SW btw 3rd and 14th St
3rd St NW/SW btw Madison and Jefferson Dr.
Shark Week to start a few days early in downtown Silver SpringWASHINGTON -- Kick off your Shark Week this year early with a free screening of "Air Jaws: Fin of Fury" and live music in downtown Silver Spring.From Discovery:"Held just outside of the company’s global headquarters and in partnership with Downtown Silver Spring, the celebration will offer attendees a wide range of jaw-some giveaways including fin hats, glow necklaces and SHARK WEEK squirt toys. Local funk band 8 Ohms will also take the stage before the screening.Building on a three-year tradition, Chompie Jr. also will continue to surprise unsuspecting fans in the DC Metro area with a new twist on the #ChompieAttack. The much-loved mascot will be sharing SHARK WEEK treats with fans this week, so be sure to follow @DiscoveryComm on Twitter to keep up with his whereabouts. "Festivities kick off at 6 p.m.18-Foot Shark Attacks Cage | Great White Serial Killer - Shark Week 2013by Discovery via YouTube
Afghanistan War vet records song for soldiers with PTSD
WASHINGTON – War veterans returning home can have a difficult time adjusting to civilian life.
Brad Tyner, lead singer of Breakaway Patriot and Afghanistan War vet, knows what it’s like. He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force at the age of 18, and served two tours in the Middle East. He left the military in 2011 to pursue music, and is now combining his war experience with his creative side.
Breakaway Patriot’s latest single “The Homecoming,” speaks to the problems vets with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder face when they come home. The video was created with the help of Travis Air Force Base in California and Pathway Home, a sanctuary for vets with PTSD. The holding signs in the video are actual residents of Pathway.
“By simply watching and sharing the video you can help us raise awareness and funds for vets with PTSD. All proceeds from the video will be donated to the Pathway Home,” Tyner says in an email.
Watch the video for “The Homecoming” below:by WTOPEnt via YouTube 8/6/2014 2:43:17 PM
Get ready for Baltimore Comic-ConWASHINGTON -- Calling all cosplayers and comic book nerds!Baltimore Comic-Con is just around the corner, and news is starting to trickle down about what to expect during the convention, which comes to the Baltimore Convention Center Sept. 5 through 7.Kids 10 and under get in free all weekend. Families can enjoy kids-friendly comics, workshops and panels from companies such as Archie, Scholastic, Disney and Marvel.From the organizers:"The Baltimore Comic-Con has always been a welcoming, family-friendly show, and every year, we aim to make the Kids Love Comics Pavilion inspiring to young comic fans. Not only do we want kids to read comics, we show them how they can create their own! I wish there was an event like this when I was a kid," said Mark Mariano, creator of the Happyloo graphic novel series, and co-organizer (with John Gallagher) of the kids section.
'Daily Show' host Jon Stewart to direct first movieWASHINGTON -- Funnyman Jon Stewart is trying his hand at something new and directing his first film."Rosewater" is based on the best-selling memoir, "Then They Came for Me," a "painstaking account of one journalists' 118 days of imprisonment and torture following the 2009 Iranian election," InsideMovies reports.The film stars Gael Garcia Bernal -- one of Mexico's biggest talents and perhaps its most recognizable and internally acclaimed actors -- as imprisoned reporter Maziar Bahari.Bahari and Stewart became close friends after the journalist's ordeal.“It may not be what people expect from me; it’s not a comedy,” Stewart says of the film, which is slated to be released Nov. 7.Get more updates about the movie here.
'Wire' actor Anwan Glover stabbed in D.C. nightclub
WASHINGTON -- Anwan Glover, a local actor known for his recurring role as Slim Charles on HBO's "The Wire," was stabbed at a popular D.C. nightclub early Sunday morning.
Glover, 41, told D.C. police that he was on the second floor of Cafe Asia when an unknown person approached from the right side and struck him once with a closed fist.
When he turned to the person, another assailant hit Glover on the back of the head, which caused him to fall because the floor was wet.
Then, according to a police report obtained by WTOP, a group of people gathered around Glover and began to kick him several times.Read the full story here.The Wire - Stringer Orders Slim Charles To Hit Somebodyby allmightantdawgs via YouTube
Weekend Best Bets: Fairs, Foodie Fest, Southern BBQ and Music
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- The Howard County Fair in West Friendship, Maryland, begins a week long run of rides, entertainment, contests, music and great family fun. For info
- Dulles Expo Center hosts BrickFair VA 2014. The whole family can appreciate the amazing displays by imaginative brick masters with hands on activities, vendors and more. For info
- National Harbor has Cirque Du Soleil’s Amaluna inviting the audience to a mysterious island governed by goddesses and guided by the cycles of the moon. For info
- Warner Theatre this weekend is presenting the smash Broadway comedy that explores the gender gap, Defending The Caveman. For info
Saturday August 2:
- Strathmore in Bethesda hosts The Appetite Festival - the ultimate Summer indoor/outdoor food festival featuring celebrity chefs, food trucks, craft beer, music and more. For info
- Southern Maryland Brew & BBQ Festival at the St Mary’s County Fairgrounds offers a variety of events and attractions for all ages including craft beer, food and music. For info
- The Annapolis Car Show, held annually on the first Saturday in August to benefit the Diabetes Center, is a free event with live music, food and kids activities. For info
- Frederick County Fair in Winchester, Virginia, has its last day of great family fun with rides, live music, monster trucks, petting zoo and more. For info
- Heritage Family Days Series at the Udva-Hazy Center in Chantilly. See a display of helicopters, meet the pilots who fly them plus enjoy hands-on activities and indoor astronaut meet-and-greets. For info
- Merriweather Post Pavilion hosts some of the best in R&B and hip-hop with the 2014 Summer Spirit Festival. For info
- Jiffy Lube Live presents Rascal Flatts with Sheryl Crow. For info
- The Birchmere hosts the legendary country songwriter, Hal Kethcum. For info
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz has the unique jazz keyboard stylings of Marcus Johnson. For info
- The Howard Theatre is presenting the royal family of reggae, Morgan Heritage. For info
- The Hamilton hosts the dirty funk and rock of TAUK with Big Something with a dance floor. For info
Sunday August 3:
- First Sunday Arts Festival in Annapolis is a street festival, art market, craft fair all in one with music and entertainment for everyone. For info
- DC’s Annual Africa Festival at Woodrow Wilson Plaza is a family friendly cultural celebration of history, art, food and music. For info
- National Museum of the American Indian presents the Kaypi Peru Festival celebrating the indigenous culture of Peru through traditional dance, music, lectures exhibits, food, crafts and hands on activities for kids. For info
- Udvar-Hazy Center Summer Concert Series is a free family friendly event featuring the United States Air Force Band, Max Impact. For info
- George Mason Center for the Arts presents the Bolvian Independence Day - Children’s Festival a fun family event celebrating the culture with dance, music and singing. For info
- Jammin Java hosts a rising star in harpist/singer-songwriter, Mikaela Davis. For info
- The Howard Theatre presents the reggae stylings of Cultura Profetica. For info
- Rams Head on Stage in Annapolis offers TUSK: The Ultimate Fleetwood Mac Tribute. For info
- Wolf Trap presents the ultimate Grateful Dead tribute with Dark Star Orchestra. For info
- The Birchmere presents Grammy-winning, singer-songwriter Marc Cohn. For info
Lorde to curate 'Mockingjay' companion albumWASHINGTON -- Teen sensation Lorde has been tapped to record the first single for the next installment of "The Hunger Games."She will also curate the companion album to "MockingJay - Part 1," which hits theaters Nov. 21."Curating the soundtrack for such a hotly-anticipated film was a challenge, but I jumped at the chance," the 17-year-old singer and songwriter said in a news release."The cast and story are an inspiration for all musicians participating and, as someone with cinematic leanings, being privy to a different creative process has been a unique experience. I think the soundtrack is definitely going to surprise people."Read the full story here.And watch a teaser for Part 1 below:"Our Leader the Mockingjay" – Official Teaser Trailerby The Hunger Games via YouTube
Hi: 75 °F | Lo: 55 °F