Weekend Best Bets: DC Short Film Fest, Maryland Seafood Fest, Prince George’s Fair, Maryland Renaissance Fest, Rosslyn Jazz Fest, Chestertown Jazz, Nation’s Triathlon great music and more!
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- 15th Annual DC Short Film Festival is 11 days of films from around the globe featuring a mixed-bag showcases, Q&A’s, screenplay competition and more.
- Maryland Seafood Festival at Sandy Point Park is a weekend of delicious food, vendors, cooking demos, competitions, kids activities, music and more.
- Prince George’s County Fair at the Show Place Arena runs through this weekend with rides, games, vendors, performers and more for the family.
- Maryland Renaissance Festival in Crownsville, Md., has begun with a trip back in time to the world of King Henry the VIII featuring a unique village, music & entertainers, food and games and fun for the family.
- The Chestertown Jazz Festival in this charming, quaint town on the waterfront in Maryland, you can enjoy arts, vendors, food and great music all weekend.
- Skyline Indie Film Fest in Old Town Winchester, Va., will feature a wide variety of screeners and venues with a variety of events throughout the weekend celebrating independent film makers.
- The 13th Annual Nation’s Triathlon with the backdrop of DC’s historic monuments and sights, come and spectate or participate in this premier sporting event with a fitness festival in West Potomac Park all weekend.
- WashingCon at the Georgetown Hotel and Convention Center is the 4th annual tabletop games conventions.
- Apple Gala and Fresh Cider Fest at Bluemont Farms this weekend features family fun with apple picking, tasting, kids activities music and more.
- The Renwick Gallery presents No Spectators: The Art of Burning Man bringing the large scale, participatory work from the desert to the nation’s capital.
- Newseum new exhibit 9/11 Gallery a vivid exploration of the terror attack of Sept. 11, 2001 intertwined with extraordinary first-person accounts of journalists who covered the story.
- The Hirshorn presents a new exhibit by contemporary artists Tino Sehgal: This You the first exclusively live work acquired for the Museum’s permanent collection in 44 years.
- The Sackler Gallery has A Glimpse of Ancient Yemen a small selection of objects that were excavated from the region by pioneering archaeologist Wendell Phillips in the 50s.
- ARTECHOUSE it’s Fractal Worlds a 12+ visual journey through mind-bending sci-fi worlds and infinite 3D geometric patterns (day and night shows available).
- Arena Stage presents Turn Me Loose a play about comic genius Dick Gregory.
- The Kennedy Center presents Broadway’s award winning smash musical Hamilton at various showtimes through this weekend.
- Folger’s Shakespeare Theatre presents Macbeth as seen anew, set in an historic London asylum for the groundbreaking production at various showtimes.
- Adventure Theatre at Glen Echo presents Blueberries for Sal a family musical based on the classic children's book.
Sat., Sept. 8:
- Rosslyn Jazz Fest at Gateway Park in its 28th year celebrates live music, with vendors, local food trucks and more in this free to the public event.
- 8th Annual Bands, Brews & Barbecue Festival in Historic Old Town Manassas will feature award winning NoVA brews, the best BBQ, with live music, games and more.
- Taste The Beaches in Chesapeake Beach has a community block party vibe with local foods, food trucks, beverages, vendors, kids zone, music and more.
- In The Street in Downtown Frederick, Md., is a street festival with diverse food, entertainment, art, justice and more.
- Virginia Indian Festival at Riverbend Park will feature 8 American Indian tribes from Virginia with dance, music, demonstrations, storytelling and hands on activities with and American Indian marketplace.
- Taste of The World International Food Fest at Nats Park, with special tickets to the game, enjoy a pregame street festival with food, beverages and takeaways.
- Hazy Center hosts the Smithsonian TechQuest: Race to the Moon an alternate reality game for families set in the thrilling era of early space flight.
- Atlas Brew Works, on Virginia Ave, NE, has a Five Year Anniversary Party with live music, food, vendors, activities and more.
Sun., Sept. 9:
- Adams Morgan Day Festival celebrating 40 years is DC’s longest running neighborhood festival and a family-friendly celebration with music, art, activities, vendors and more.
- Festival Salvadoreñisimo at Montgomery County Fairgrounds is Salvadoran’s cultural celebration coinciding with the country’s Independence Day with food, music, dance and more.
- The Annual Polo Classic at Great Meadow, The Plains, Va., is a family friendly event with horse show, pipes & drums, carriage rides, parade of hounds, exhibits and more.
- Madonnari Arts Festival Little Italy Baltimore features 60 visual artists and over 100 performers artists giving vision and voice to this years the Respect in honor of the late, great Aretha Franklin.