Seen and Heard: Happenings Around Town
Weekend Best Bets: Kids Expo, Auto Show, Motorcycle Shows, Chocolate Fest, Chinese New Year Festival and Parade, Oscar Films, museums, shows, great music and more!
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Fredricksburg Kids Expo this weekend is the place for families to explore, learn and play with vendors, dinosaur show, musical petting zoo and more.
- Progressive International Motorcycle Show at the DC Convention Center this weekend with feature trends, vendors, displays, pros, gear, kids zone and hand on activities plus more.
- Motortrend International Auto Show at the Baltimore Convention Center this weekend will highly 500+ new vehicles with displays, vendors, special guests, kids activities and more.
- International Motorcycle Show at the Maryland State Fairgrounds will feature vendors, trends, displays with a swap meet and door prizes at this kid friendly event.
- Chocolate Festival at the National Museum of the American Indian this weekend will feature demos and activities with tastings, films and more both Saturday and Sunday.
- Bluemont Vineyard Corks and Cupcakes is an annual event this year teaming with Georgetown Cupcakes to travel through stations trying various pairings through the weekend.
- Oscar Nominated Short Films at Landmark Theaters this weekend, along with various feature Oscar noms, see animated, live-action and documentary showings at various showtimes and locations all weekend.
- The Botanic Gardens presents a fascinating new exhibit Celebrating New American Gardens showcasing plant collections highlighting the change of seasons.
- The Hirshorn presents a new exhibit Rafael Lozano-Hemmer: Pulse it's the gallery’s largest interactive technology exhibit.
- First Chefs: Fame and Foodways from Britain to the Americas at the Folger Shakespeare Library is an exhibit that tells the stories of the early modern food culture.
- National Building Museum new exhibit Flickering Treasures: Rediscovering Baltimore’s Forgotten Movie Theaters has Baltimore Sun photojournalist, Amy Davis, exploration of over 100 years.
- ARTECHOUSE presents Everything in Existence by fuse and interactive mind bending exhibit into eternity and infinity with the confluence of art, science and tech.
- Newseum exhibit ABC News Changing Exhibits: “Inside Today’s FBI” invites you to explore headline-making FBI cases and learn how to the bureau fights terrorism, cybercrime and more.
- The Sackler Gallery has the exhibit Perfect Harmony juxtaposing American and Asian art.
- Ford's Theatre presents Twelve Angry Men the provocative American court drama comes to life at various showtimes through the weekend.
- Arena Stage presents Kleptocracy a fearless political journey from House of Cards series writer, at various showtimes this weekend.
- Anacostia Playhouse presents American Moor the award winning play depicting a journey of the African American thespian a various showtimes this weekend.
- The Kennedy Center presents The Music Man the Tony Award winning story follows a traveling salesman influencing a small Iowa town at various showtimes through this weekend.
- Shakespeare Theatre Company presents Richard the Third the chronicle of Shakespeare’s mesmerizing megalomaniac’s rampage to the throne at various showtimes this weekend.
- The Olney Theatre presents Once the Tony winning musical of an folk rock street performer in Dublin, at various showtimes this weekend.
- Imagination Stage in Bethesda presents a kid’s classic Wake Up, Brother Bear.
Sat., Feb. 9, 2019:
- The Kennedy Center presents Chinese New Year Family Day with fun-filled activities, entertainment, special showcases of the arts of Chinese Culture in celebrating the Year of the Pig.
- Family Day at Montpellier Arts Center celebrates Black History Month with exhibits, activities, storytelling and more.
- Family Day Black History Month at Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park will celebrate the culture with activities, presentations, tours and more.
- Hazy Center hosts the Smithsonian TechQuest: Race to the Moon an alternate reality game for families set in the thrilling era of early space flight.
- Vintage Antique and Craft Bazaar in Manassas will feature vendors, crafters, demos, displays and more.
- The Magic Duel at the Mayflower Hotel it’s funny magic not just for kids anymore and you pick the winner in this 5 star rated show.
- 9:30 has the Arizona based 4 piece Spafford with Of Tomorrow.
- Pearl Street Warehouse has a 10 band showcase with Flashband by 7Drum City.
- Union Stage hosts classically trained multi-instrumentalist David August.
- The Fillmore goes country with Montgomery Gentry with Melodime & Scott Kurt.
- Rams Head On Stage has The Dirty Grass Players with a Dead, Allman Brothers Tribute.
- Jammin’ Java presents the Eric Brace, Peter Cooper & Thomm Jutz Trio.
- The Hamilton has some of DC’s favorites performing Love Songs: The Beatles.
- The Lincoln Theatre presents Joe Jackson - Four Decade Tour.
- Amp by Strathmore hosts Canadian celtic rocker Enter The Haggis.
- The Barns of Wolf Trap it’s Washington Opera with Martin Le Vin Herbé.
- Black Rock Center the bluegrass sensibility of Love Cannon.
- City Winery has Atlanta based folders Drivin N Cryin with Lauren Morrow.
- Sixth & i hosts Nashville singer-songwriter Valerie June.
- Tally Ho Theatre has The World’s Greatest Eagle Tribute: Eaglemania.
- The State Theatre it’s the ultimate Springsteen tribute with Bruce In The USA.
Sun., Feb. 10, 2019:
- Lunar New Year Festival in Chinatown celebrating the Year of the Pig with live cultural performances, family activities, highlighting local businesses and of course the Chinese New Year Parade.
- Walking With Washington in Alexandria is part of George Washington’s birthday celebration with a guided tour sees some of over 140 places associated with Washington.
- Expression of People Festival at Harmony Hall Arts Center celebrates Black History month with musical performers, kids activities, workshops, special guests and more.
- Japan Day at the Kids Museum in Bethesda will have hands on activities, a Zen garden, origami making, entertainment, food and more.
- Brookside Nature Center Maple Sugaring Days in Wheaton has demos with hands on activities in this registration only great family fun activity at various times.
- American Legion Bluegrass matinee in Hughesville features Russell Moore & IIIrd Time Out.
- Bluegrass Barn at Frying Pan Park presents Laurie Lewis & Right Hands.
- The Kennedy Center presents NEA Jazz Master Archie Shepp’s Tribute to Coltrane.
- The Birchmere hosts Grammy winning UK songwriter, singer, rapper Estelle.
- Maryland Hall presents folk icon Arlo Guthrie with Sarah Lee Guthrie.
- Jammin’ Java has an All You Need Is Love Songwriters’ Circle.
- City Winery it’s the emerging jazz sax of Tony Craddock, Jr. & Cold Front.
- The Song Byrd Music House has the electro pop of SRSQ.
- Blues Alley presents the “queen of underground soul” Sy Smith.
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz has the Gospel sounds of Anthony Brown.
- MGM National Harbor presents a tribute to Motown with Motor City Live.