Weekend Best Bets: Travel & Adventure Show, Super Pet Expo, Kids Fun Fair, Women’s History Month, St. Patrick’s Day, Magic, museums, music and more!
Mary de Pompa WTOP News
- Travel & Adventure Show at the DC Convention Center this weekend brings the world to you with sights, tastes, sounds, hands on activities, music, performers and family fun.
- Super Pet Expo at the Dulles Expo Center this weekend is where you learn, shop and play with vendors, experts and pet entertainers.
- Kids Fun Fair at the Show Place Arena this weekend is a family fun place for rides, games and unique interactions with animals.
- 55th Annual Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds this weekend features wold wide treasures with over 40 exhibits, workshops, demos with free specimens and mini mine for kids.
- Big Apple Circus at the National Harbor is unequivocally, thrilling, family fun with exciting acts, astonishing feats, exciting daredevil extravaganza at various times this weekend.
- Maple Syrup Festival at Cunningham Falls State Park will have food, hands on activities, crafts, music, demonstrations and more.
- Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital celebrates the best in filmmaking with over 100 screenings and programs including world premieres, discussions with experts and artists.
- National Museum of American History celebrates Women’s History Month with various displays and historic artifacts.
- National Museum of the American Indian celebrates Women’s History Month with tours, films, exhibits and more through the month.
- National Geographic Museum’s new exhibit Queens of Egypt will feature over 300 ancient Egyptian artifacts with a 3-D virtual tour and more.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum has a new exhibit Artists Respond: American Art and the Vietnam War, 1965-1975 is a comprehensive exhibition to examine the contemporary impact of Vietnam on American Art.
- The National Building Museum presents HOOPS community portraits by Bill Bamberger featuring 22k shots taken over 14 years in more than 12 countries time for March Madness.
- Newseum presents Rise Up: Stonewall and LGBTQ Rights Movement a new exhibit exploring gays rights movement in the US marking the 50th anniversary of Stonewall.
- Francophonie Festival is month long celebration of French culture, language and influence around the DC area with events, films, tours, art, music, food and more at various locations.
- Phillips Collection new exhibit of Zilia Sánchez, Soy Isla (I Am an Island), is the museum’s first retrospective of the famed Cuban artist.
- The Hirshorn presents a new exhibit Rafael Lozano-Hemmer: Pulse its the gallery’s largest interactive technology exhibit.
- ARTECHOUSE presents Everything in Existence by fuse and interactive mind bending exhibit into eternity and infinity with the confluence of art, science and tech.
- The Sackler Gallery has the exhibit Perfect Harmony juxtaposing American and Asian art.
- Arena Stage presents JQA the brilliant diplomat John Quincy Adams brought to life in this provocative, haunting, hilarious power play at various showtimes this last weekend.
- Ford's Theatre presents Into the Woods a musical fairy tale with a twist in the Steven Sondheim’s imaginative, darkly comical remix at various showtimes.
- The Olney Theatre presents Once, the Tony winning musical depicting a folk rock street performer in Dublin, at various showtimes this last weekend.
- Imagination Stage in Bethesda presents Anatole: Mouse Magnifique the best cheese taster in all of France in this whimsical family musical at various showtimes.
- The Kennedy Center presents Washington National Opera: Eugene Oregin a Tchaikovsky masterpiece of unrequited love at various showtimes this weekend.
Sat., March 16:
- B’more Healthy Expo at the Baltimore Convention Center has something for everybody with hands on activities, vendors, professionals, demos and more.
- Fredericksburg St. Patrick’s Day Festival is great family fun with a run, parade, live music and family friendly activities.
- St. Patrick’s Day with Sweet Farm in Frederick at the MilkHouse Brewery features food, music and dance.
- Corned Beef and Cornhole Tournament at Northside 10 in Alexandria will have beer tents, traditional food and games.
- Gaithersburg St. Patrick’s Day Parade is a cultural celebration cast in a family fun event.
- Votes for Women Day at the U.S. Capitol’s Visitors Center is a day of activities celebrating 100 years of the 19th Amendment with hands on activities, scavenger hunt and more.
- Nowruz: A Persian New Year Celebration at the Freer|Sackler Gallery with free attractions, performers, storytelling, hands on activities and more.
- Hazy Center hosts the Smithsonian TechQuest: Race to the Moon an alternate reality game for families set in the thrilling era of early space flight.
- The Hip-Hop Museum pop-up experience Grand Closing Gala features panel discussion, memorabilia, live performances, DJs, art, food, fun and more.
- Catch Me If You Can Magic Duel is at the Mayflower Hotel with 2 shows in this one of a kind interactive magic competition.
Sun., March 17: