Memorial Day Weekend 2014
Monday marks Memorial Day, so get the latest weather, traffic and event information on the federal holiday.
Naval Academy graduation ceremoniesAnnapolis police warn motorists to expect heavy traffic congestion Friday related to the Naval Academy graduation ceremony, which begins at 10 a.m.Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will be the commencement speaker.Parking gates open at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium at 6:30 a.m.Stadium gates and concessions open to guests at 7 a.m.Photos and swearing-in ceremonies will take place between 1 and 2:30 p.m.The Annapolis Police Department has posted a map with roads where motorists should expect delays, including a portion of U.S. 50/301.Naval Academy graduation 2012. (AP)
Beach forecast: Sunny with a chance of sand and funNo matter the beach or the destination, ABC7 meteorologist Lauryn Ricketts has your Memorial Day weekend forecast.Read the full story here.WTOP
Best BetsEvents, music and family fun close to home
DelFest in Cumberland, Maryland, is four fun-filled bluegrass stompin' days of family fun along the Potomac. For info delfest.com
Hometown Holidays in Rockville, Maryland, is family fun with great music and food, kids activities and a parade. For info Rockvillemd.gov
Caribbean Festival at Linganore Wines in Mt. Airy, Maryland, is a family friendly, cultural celebration with music, food and more. For info www.linganorewines.com
Delaplane Strawberry Festival at Sky Meadows State Park is a day of good, old-fashioned family fun with music, games, dancing, petting farm, antique car show and more. For info delaplanestrawberryfestival.com
ViVa! Vienna! in Vienna, Virginia, is a Memorial Day weekend extravaganza for the family with rides, music, crafts, food and a kids stage. For info vivavienna.orgDinosaurs Come Alive at the Dulles Expo Center, Saturday and Sunday, is a family adventure where dinosaurs ruled the world featuring animatronic displays, roaring dragons, enchanted fairies, slides, rides and an obstacle course. For info Dinosauriaexperience.com
Rolling Thunder has motorcyclists from all over converging in and around the D.C. area to honor our military veterans with various events all weekend. For info rollingthunderrun.com
Kennedy Center presents the 19th Annual Mary Lou Williams Jazz Festival celebrating a legacy of the legendary pianist. For info www.kennedy-center.org
- Strawberry Jubilee at Great Country Farms in Bluemont, Virginia, is a family fun day of pickin', prizes, princesses, music, rides and more. For info www.greatcountryfarms.com
- Brentsville Car Show in Bristow, Virginia, is a day of fun for all ages with antique cars, trucks, games, activities and more. For info http://visitpwc.mymediaroom.com
- Brew at the Zoo at the Baltimore Zoo is an annual charity event with beer samplings, tastings, music, kid zone and more. For info marylandzoo.org
- SummerFest DC kicks off the season at Half Street
- Fairgrounds, near Nats Park, with a 21+ event with beer tastings, music,
food and more. For info summerfestdc.com
- Sixth and I presents the legendary singer, Art Garfunkel. For info Sixthandi.org
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz hosts Big Bad Voodoo Daddy with a dance floor. For info instantseasts.com
- Gypsy Sally's features tributes to the Dead and Johnny Cash with Beggars Tomb and Cold Hard Cash. For info www.gypsysallys.com
- The State Theatre hosts the World's Greatest 70s Experience with the Right on Band. For info www.thestatetheatre.com
- Rams Head Annapolis presents 10,000 Maniacs. For ticket info ramsheadonstage.com
- Virginia Renaissance Faire has begun in Spotsylvania . Take a family-friendly journey back in time to 1500-era Staffordshire with music, food, games and more. For info varf.org
- North Point Eagles Car Show in Waldorf, Maryland, sports vehicles of all eras plus music, prizes and more. For info charlescountymd.gov
- The National Memorial Day Concert on the West Lawn of the Capitol is an annual free, family friendly event honoring our armed forces. For info www.pbs.org
- The National Harbor starts the free series Movies on the Potomac's outdoor screenings with the family favorite "Up." For info nationalharbor.com
- The Birchmere hosts R&B, jazz-rock of Eric Roberson with the Revelations. For info birchmere.com
- Wolf Trap Summer Blast Off features the U.S. Marine Band and fireworks display. For info www.wolftrap.org
- Rock & Roll Hotel presents the power pop, punk of indie rockers, Club Scout. For info www.rockandrollhoteldc.com
- Rams Head Annapolis hosts 10,000 Maniacs. For ticket info www.ramsheadstage.com
- The Hamilton Live presents Grammy nominated singer-songwriter, Lisa Loeb. For info http://live.thehamiltondc.com
New at the BeachVisitors heading to the Eastern Shore looking for souvenirs and beach
house decor might try stopping at a place that's just outside Ocean
City.Seaside Country Store bills itself as "The most unusual store on the
shore," and it's been around for more than 40 years. It's known for its
homemade fudge, which has been named the best in Delaware.Read the full story here.
by SteveRudinABC7 via twitter 5/23/2014 10:01:11 PM
Rare 'new' meteor shower predicted for SaturdayThe night sky will provide quite a show early Saturday as a meteor shower is expected to light up the heavens over the Mid-Atlantic.Learn more about the shower plus where and when to view it in our full report.(Sky and Telescope Illustrations)
BEWARE: While you don't need to pay at most parking spots in D.C., Maryland and Virginia on Memorial Day, you will need to pay outside Nationals Park. More here.
After a long tough winter, there is welcomed warmth and many people will take advantage of it by inviting family and friends over for a good old-fashioned cookout.
But there is no faster way to end a party than by serving up a case of food poisoning.
Get information about grilling safety on WTOP.com.
Beach Forecast & Traffic(AP)WTOP has you covered no matter your destination.Click here to the see the weather forecast and beach traffic advisories.
Beat the TrafficWTOP FileIf you plan to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend, you will have lots of company.
AAA says this could be the busiest weekend on the nation's roads since 2005.
Read the full story here.